1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is the situation in China affecting recruitment elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MyLastDuchess, Feb 17, 2020.

1. MyLastDuchess

MyLastDuchess New commenter

For those of you who are involved in recruitment, do you find that there are more candidates applying for Europe or other non-Asian locations this year? Is the situation in China causing significant numbers of teachers to leave/avoid that part of the world in favour of other posts?

new career likes this.
  2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

This is exactly what I have heard, from a variety of courses.

So how about Bulgaria?

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Well I can confirm that living in a modern plague pit has caused some teachers to leave the country faster than rats from a sinking ship.

All the teachers leaving China and ZERO numbers of applicants for jobs will mean more competition for available employment elsewhere, even Kuwait will see a desirable destination.

4. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

I'm leaving China this year for another Asian country (got the job before the virus news). Lots of people at my school seem to be leaving or not renewing contracts. We had a resignation as soon as the news broke, actually. Cases of the virus seem to be stabilizing in GZ now though.

I think more people will be discouraged by the long-term ******** of the CCP and the lack of transparency which makes being an expat here quite precarious at times.

However, I think the travel opportunities and the pay in Asia will never put people off long term.

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

THis is an interesting question.

Chinese schools will put returning teachers on 6 day weeks when they return. Nobody doubts this. This may see a massive flood of teachers leaving China and into the market.
    Many commentators , like me, do not trust what China is saying about the outbreak. The situation may not be stable until near the end of the current academic year at the earliest. Reading about Chinese schools demanding that teachers fly back to China against foreign office advice is not encouraging and many teachers will not return at all and many will now not apply for jobs in China creating a crisis in CHinese schools.

The pay will not matter.

Teachallover likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If I had a mortgage to pay, moscowbore, then getting my pay every month might matter quite a lot.

Mrs. Hippoptamus and her overweight husband rather enjoyed their five years in the Middle Kingdom, as readers of my blog bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com will probably have guessed by now.

Dear old Harry Deelman used to talk about "the CNN factor". Sometimes these things do get a bit exaggerated by journalists. Of course this new virus is a bit scary and some people have died, but every year people die from pneumonia and influenza. Every year people die in car crashes, but the roads in Sofia seemed to be quite busy this morning.

7. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Yesterday, I learnt of a third teacher I know of in Beijing that has been offered and accepted a position to start after Easter holidays in UK. 2 are as a classroom teacher and 1 is a none teaching post.

8. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"even Kuwait will be seen as a desirable destination."

..... splutters over coffee .....

9. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

Yes, but if there was a surge in car crashes serious enough to require the emergency building of hospitals you might think twice. This is not the same as 'flu. Pneumonia is a complication of an infectious disease and is what is ultimately killing people.

Case are stabilising across China as they are only testing people from Hubei or who have been to Hubei. Listen to Professor John Edmonds from the London School of Hygine and Tropical Medicine. BBC Radio 4 Today 15 February 2020 from 50.30.... but key point around 52.00

There is no data on how badly affected the other cities are. China is not testing for infection in cities outside of Hubei. The data is being manipulated before it is even data- by exclusion of cases. Who knows what is really happening?

China is not looking like an attractive destination- I would not want to head back there just now. Hong Kong is a ghost town- people have become shut-ins.

10. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Yet he also states that for the vast majority of people who even catch the virus, it will be very mild. They'll get a cough, sore throat, recover and be fine. He restates this several times.
    I'm sure he still does :)

Teachers will often use situations like this as an excuse to move on from a situation they didn't like anyway. It provides the perfect cover if you want to break contract.

11. clovispoint

Yes. I am not worried for my own health but I do worry about the health of those around me, small children, elderly etc. I also would be worried that I or family would be stuck in quarantine for 14 days plus. This possibility could also account for a drop in numbers- people staying well away from the authorities unless desperately ill.

The big risk with this is the overwhelming of hospitals- people still get sick for other reasons but the medical care is committed to dealing with the acute cases caused by this virus. Resources are thin on the ground. Schools are having trouble buying cleaning products which they need to reopen, never mind toilet paper and the rest.

12. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The international schools in Shanghai are talking about giving 3 weeks notice before they open to allow staff and students to complete 2 weeks quarantine before reopening.

Many western staff don't feel like been locked up in their own appartments with a black cross on the door when they return to the country for 2 weeks solid.

Its the expat population as a whole not returning to China that has me worried the most, I don't see 50% of the old expat population returning any time soon.

The only foreign voices I hear on Shanghai streets now is Russian!

13. Teachallover

I agree with what you say, partially. It is a good excuse that principals elsewhere may sympathise with. However, also I’m not sure if I had young young I’d be happy to return, or more realistically, my other family members would not be happy for me to...

14. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

This simply is NOT true! There is data available about every province and every city! Stop scaremongering!

makhnovite and yasf like this.
  15. Teachallover

I should say young ‘children’ above!

16. Jason_Bourne_

When you say Chinese schools, are you referring to local schools or international schools? The international school that I'm working at has confirmed extended working hours for the reminder of term 2 but there is definitely NOT going to be a 6 day working week.

17. clovispoint

I am not scaremongering- listen to the news report. There is data but from what is said (and i agree, if it is true, it is alarming) the data in other cities is not a true reflection. If they are limiting the testing, the results can’t show how wide spread it is.

it will not make the majority of people severely ill but enough to cause a serious impact on health services.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  18. Jason_Bourne_

First you said that there is no data... Now you are saying that there is data... Make up your mind!

19. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I am talking about friends who work in international or bi-lingual schools.

How will extended working hours help anything? More exhausted students and teachers. How does that help anything

Teachallover likes this.
  20. Jason_Bourne_

When parents are paying huge amounts of money in tuition fees then schools need to be seen to be doing something...