1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is Scottish work Experience valued against English/IB?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sblair1290, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am Scottish teacher with nearly 5 years experience and I am considering looking for work abroad. Most international schools appear to operate under the GCSE/International Bac. system. How does the Scottish system rate alongside this? Will it be a handicap? If so, how can this be mitigated?
    thanks for any comments in advance.
    SB

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

One has to conjsider many things, is working overseas in Scotland equal to working in England? [​IMG]
    Well, it's clearly a hardship post so that would work in your favour. On the otherhand, Wigan is a pretty dire place too, so perhaps on par.
    Accent could be an issue; roughly as indecernable as scouse, geordie, brum and Wigan accents. So perhaps on par again.
    Jesting aside, I'd hire Scottish (indeed I have do so) folk on equal terms as anyone else in Britain; so long as you have the subject knowledge (ideally degree in related subject) and teacher training within the UK. Scotland has integrated such shemes as AfL so the teaching basics are pretty much the same as elsewhere in Britain..[​IMG]

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Is Scottish a subject now then, good old equal opportunity Britain eh? Seriously though, the Scottish system probably won't be a hindrance although being Scottish may be. You will be expected to join the St.Andrews society wherever you end up living.
    These are a secretive bunch who disappear one evening a week to learn to dance in enormous long lines, wo betide you if you attempt to join in the eightsome Mactilliverary reel, at the St.Andrews ball that you have been dragged to by some loon, if you've nae been to practice, son!
    Obviously you will have to undergo the cold turkey caused by deep fried mars bar deprivation, unless you get a job in the Cameron highlands. You will also have to pick a local bar in which you can watch Rangers, Celtic, Ayr, Cally Thistle and relive the great ****** bashing of '38 or vice versa.
    Other than that once you have dyed your hair you will probably have absolutely no problems whatsoever.
    Cordially, Oh go on then just a splash of the malt,
    Perce

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

After that many years in Scotland, I would think that heading for Lagos will be a step up for you. They have sunshine and running water in all cities and some have electricity for part of the day.

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

After a (very) recent excursion to the Cameron Highlands to eat strawberries I was most disappointed not to see a snglie Kilt, haggis or tartan cap anywhere. I can only presume there is a hibernation period for the great crested ***** McTavis type, which is presumed to roam the region.

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I too have paid a recent visit and must concur. I think the red phone boxes scare them off! The Old Smokehouse does do a tasty Scotch Broth though.

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

We employ Scottish teachers, and value them highly.
    If they take up half the interview telling us how the Scottish system is better than the English, then that does damage their chances somewhat... but for whatever reason, it's been quite a few years now since I heard that particular aria.

8. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Hi
    I'm a Scottish trained teacher and have been living in Spain for almost 10 years now, after working for only 2 years in Scotland.
    In answer to your question, I think it depends on the subjecty. I'm a Science / Physics teacher and the content is more or less the same for GCSE / Standard Grades. The level is slightly higher, teaching content that we would include in Highers. Highers are equivalent to AS level and Sixth Year Studies to A level. They have different boards where we just had one (SQA) look up curriculum content on Edexcel and AQA websites as these are the most common as well as Cambridge. I don't have any IB experience so I can't comment on what it's like compared to the others.
    I think my accent has worn off a bit, although it was never very strong to begin with. Some children did laugh at first when I used the word booook! have always taught some Scottish children at every school. It was funny to be chatting to a small Glaswegian boy and everyone was amazed that I could understand him!
    I've never found it a handicap and I remember our Physics tutor telling us we would be able to find work anywhere in the world. Good luck!

9. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Keep it. EAL students enjoy the rolling 'r' and precise consonants of educated Scottish which keeps things crystal clear for them unlike other native accents including my own bland drawl.

10. That sounds positive. thanks for your insights. I had wondered that the people doing the hiring might prefer somebody who knows the certificates/courses well and wouldn't have to take any extra time getting up to speed. I haven't really cross examined them yet but I suppose if they are very similar the lead in time to get familiar might not be so great. thanks.
    Stu (pronounced 'Stooooo'....long pause 'uch')