1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is revalued Salary B calculated by the TPS?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by steveroberts61, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

This sounds so wrong that I suspect some mismatch between the question you were asking and the answer you were given.

I assume that your 'best three' years are before 2013. That's what one would expect if you've been on a static salary (or one falling behind inflation), if the CPI adjustments have been made correctly through the following years.

This being the case, there is no point in considering the CPI adjusted pay from later years. Those years will not affect your final salary calculation. Does that make sense? Could that be what you were being told?

(I have twice asked TPS, via their on-line message system, to tell me my CPI adjusted pay going back 10 years. They do not respond.)

2. steveroberts61

steveroberts61 New commenter

3. steveroberts61

I never got a reply with my online questions. It took quite a few phone calls before I finally got my 10 years CPI adjusted figures. On this information I froze my pension because I was paying in for no real increase.

4. richest1

richest1 Occasional commenter

What about if you are still buying back added years up until the NPA point aged 60. My wife retires age 60 next summer. You cannot opt out then?

5. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

Following with confused interest. Trying to get an answer from TPs is impossible! Maybe someone here can help.
    Looking at the TPS website, it tells me the following
    Average revalued (B) salary £46,238.76
    Best Ave salary period 1/11/2008 - 31/10/2011
    I reach 60 on 7/11/2019

Looking at those figures, would I be better dropping out of the pension scheme now or continue until I'm 60?

6. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Unless your salary took a serious nose-dive after 31/10/2011, your pension will keep increasing over your last year. (Your revalued salary will probably fall a little, but this will be more than compensated for by having another year in the scheme.)

7. chunter1

chunter1 New commenter

I am trying to work out projected pension and was advised they look back ten years from leaving to calculate your best salary. At the moment my pension looks ok but if I stay for another 5 years and then they count back 10 this was when I was only working 2 days a week so my final pension would be worth nothing. I am confused. Anyone got any ideas please.

8. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, I assume it's about p/t working. 'Best 3 years' is 1095 days p/t, ie if you were 0.5 your 'average salary' would be calculated over 6 years.

Ask TP for a statement of your last 10 years salary uprated for inflation. You will be able to see from that the effect, so far, of your p/t years. It's complicated but if you get your own figures you can make some informed decisions, at the moment you don't have much to go on.

9. steveroberts61

I got the figures from the TPS and then did some calculations based on the best 1095 days. I could see from these that the figure was dropping and as it was still higher than my final salary I froze it in April last year. I retired in December last year and my pension was what I calculated at. It worked in my favour to freeze it and I also saved 10 months of contributions.

10. fariduddin

fariduddin New commenter

Re FINAL SALARY pensions
    For most people their last 12 months is their best salary. I think you can use the average salary in last 12 months or best 3 years from the last 10 years for final salary pension.
    For anyone working part time, the full time equivalent is used.

richest1 likes this.
  11. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

I think you'll find that due to the below inflation wage increases that for most people it is their salaries from 10, 9 and 8 years ago that are their best 3. This is because their salaries are all 'revalued' using the CPI inflation figure.

I did my own calculator sheet but I only did it to work out full-time salarys: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10x-lKLuc0PXi9C5JftanxmFVVh0PxNYKYEa70xljn38/edit?usp=sharing

12. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

1st idea: Get a professional around to go through YOUR numbers. We had someone from Wesleyan do it for free. I'd been through our numbers so was reassured that they came up with the same figures.

Other thoughts (I am no expert so check these with one!).
    Your 10 years are measured backwards from you last contribution and are based on the full-time equivalent salary - so don't panic about the actual wage that you got for your 2 days work, but do get your salary revaluations done. Ask TPS for them, they're usually pretty quick.
    You can freeze the 10-year period simply by opting out of the TPS, but watch out for being automatically re-enrolled!

Do be concerned about the amount of 'service' time you will be credited for. If (in the final salary scheme) your average salary is dropping (many are due to the CPI inflation figures) then the extra service you are putting in now may not be worth you staying in the scheme. (For instance, if you are on 0.2 for 5 more years you will only get 1 year of actual service added to your final calculation but your salary will be the best 3 from 2014-2024.)

As a rough guide your comparison calculations will be:
    (years of service)/80 * (revalued salary average 2009-2011)
    against
    (years of service + 1)/80 * (revalued salary average 2014-2016)

13. fariduddin

fariduddin New commenter

Thanks diddydave, waiting to get my figures for phsed retirement which starts on 23rd April. Am taking 25% of my pension on ARB and carrying on my HT role on 0.7FTE in job share scenario. Hopefully the pension sum is more than I was anticipating.