1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is Remembrance Day "news"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Nov 8, 2015.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I think too many posters are giving too much time up ranting on about politicians. Do yo know for sure they are insincere? Have they not lost family members in the war? Just because they are politicians doesn't mean they are not human beings.....................although Tony Blair should not have been there as he has blood on his hands from Iraq, but that is a different perspective.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Making up lies...

[​IMG]

3. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Your words
    "It's important that we see our hypocritical leaders pay lip service to the sacrifice of previous generations while plotting bombing runs on new targets in far off nations led by other peoples children."

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Well it's pretty newsworth that Corbyn stayed behind to talk to and applaud the veterans as they marched past, instead of scarpering off in search of the VIP lunch like the rest of them the politicians present.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yehbut he refused to bow properly, so he must be EVIL.

6. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

NOD IN MY NAME. Lol.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What's the proper angle for a proper bow?

Is 45 degrees any use? Or do you have to give it 60+?

8. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Fasting's not the same as remembrance and I'm no longer a believer but I still think of this when I see the obligatory poppies on every persion who appears on TV in the UK from late october onwards

"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven." Matt 6:1

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

[​IMG]

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

snap!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You know I counted... and in that post of yours, that you spent time on... your time... 33 words were mine... and two was you wasting your own time... bit sad really. I mean, you've made some dumb points on here... now you just parrot me? It's a compliment I guess.
    [​IMG]

13. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Is that an American? He's chomping with his mouth open.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Stephen Colbert and well, yes... I believe it's a persona of his.

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I had better practice at 35 degrees. Just in case I ever get to meet Her Maj.

Thanks for the graphic. Very useful.

16. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Wonderful.

I really think Corbyn really really needs a Press Agent. This stuff is trivial and so unnecessary.

It's like the argument over Trident. Have none of our current politicians seen the "Yes Prime Minister" episode on this? Is there anyone who seriously thinks that any prime minister would push the button in any circumstance other than if UK was a smouldering ruin? And then what would be the point?

This is not a question any politician of whatever party need provide an answer to. You use the full might of your political know how to answer some other question.

This is why I really despair of the Labour Party. They are not being an effective opposition.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think that more is made of Remembrance Sunday these days as we are in the 100 years period after WW1. There will be so many 100 yr commemorations until 2018.
    I was at the Gallipoli commemoration at the Cenotaph earlier this year as my grandfather spent two stints there and survived against the odds. My father wore his father's medals and took part in the March Past.
    I think of my grandfather every year on remembrance Sunday and wonder how he endured his experiences at Gallipoli, Ypres and the Somme.
    Since 1980, Remembrance Sunday has also had another sadness for me as it was the day that my first daughter was stillborn (9th November).

More is also made of the Cenotaph commemorations now that Corbyn is Labour leader as certain parts of the Press are intent on demonising him. So much is made of his supposedly insufficient bowing of the head yet the same newpapers (The Sun and the DM) made no mention of the fact that other party leaders hot-footed it to a VIP reception as soon as possible whilst Corbyn stayed to applaud all the

sabrinakat and cissy3 like this.
  18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Let us remember the fallen and forget petty politics/politicians.

sparklepig2002 and sabrinakat like this.
  19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I rewound the sky plus to check and there is a brief nod.

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I watched yesterday at 11am; my school will do 2 minutes' silence on Wednesday. I am remembering the dead and the sacrifice they made - whether the cause was right or wrong - someone mourned them, whether ally or enemy.

BelleDuJour and sparklepig2002 like this.