1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is Remembrance Day "news"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Nov 8, 2015.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I dont get it.

How is Remembrance Sunday the headline news. Does the Queen not lay a poppy wreath every year in the same place and so on. Is there really nothing else happening in the world? It's like the headlines on Christmas Day being "It's Christmas Day".
    "It's Valentine's Day".
    "It's Halloween".

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It's social grooming.

kibosh likes this.
  3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

It's an important event in the life of the nation, like the opening of Parliament or Arsenal throwing away their chance to go top of the premiership. It happens on a cyclical basis and its the duty of news vendors to mark it so that people can synchronise their lives.

rachel_g41 likes this.
  4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

OK
    Just wondering if it is all part of loving the armed forces so that when we start bombing somewhere it will all be forgiven?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No I don 't think it is this on any level. Perhaps quite simply it 's just about taking time out to remember those members of the armed forces who have lost their lives in conflict.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Seeing that the Queen can still walk backwards down steps in heels is newsworthy i think.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's important that we see our hypocritical leaders pay lip service to the sacrifice of previous generations while plotting bombing runs on new targets in far off nations led by other peoples children.

8. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

You think the bombing of Germany was wrong?

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah I said that... sheesh the word 'new' so refers to Germany.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hey lets bomb Berlin because people can't read!

11. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If anyone honestly thinks our public ceremonies are militaristic, then go and see what happens in other countries - such as our nearest continental neighbour.

Memphismojo likes this.
  12. VanEyssen

You said
    "It's important that we see our hypocritical leaders pay lip service to the sacrifice of previous generations while plotting bombing runs on new targets in far off nations led by other peoples children."

It follows that you believe that is what happened in the 1930s and 1940s

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do you think the bombing of Britain was right?

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And still not understanding what the word 'new' means... go find a dictionary.

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Some curmudgeonly old posters on here.
    It might not be news....depends on how you define/interpret news.....but it is 'current events' and for those of us on here who have lost family members it is important for us all to remember....or be reminded if needs be.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The ceremony I went to, in a village where my Grandson laid a wreath for the Beavers, was all about praying for peace not glorifying war.

It's not 'news' in the sense that it's new but reporting on what people are doing around the country.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, individual ceremonies tend to be like that, @InkyP. That's true.

But the extensive and annual radio and TV coverage?

"Today the Queen laid a wreath at the Cenotaph in remembrance of ........" Fine. It is a national day of Remembrance. But won't 30 seconds do it?

It's the job of parents and schools to keep these memories alive at home and in lessons. But the Cenotaph? It isn't news.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I have no problem at all with remembering... I remembered my grandfather yesterday, his service in Burma.
    It's the politicians who act like they remember but don't learn, instead making the same mistake over and over.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Well I suppose that having it on TV means that people who would like to take part but can't get out can feel they are involved. Anyone else can surely ignore it, there are other things to watch or to do, I haven't seen any of it on TV myself.

There is certainly more coverage than when I was younger and it's a bigger thing altogether. I think that's partly because the men and women involved in the two World Wars are dying out. My dad is 90 and he only got involved in the last couple of years of it. Also, in the 60s and 70s the WW2 wasn't talked about as much, it was considered boring, a staple of comedy shows - old men banging on about the war. I think there has been a reaction to that. Plus, of course, subsequent wars in our lifetime and all the people living with the consequences of that.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  20. VanEyssen

So why was it OK for politicians to do this 70 years ago but not now? You seem to trying to find fault selectively.
    We started it.