1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is outstanding teaching and learning assessed by Ofsted?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by purplepearlopal, Aug 12, 2011.

1. purplepearlopal

purplepearlopal New commenter

Hi everyone,
    Was just wondering if anyone had any info on how outstanding is acheieved through teaching and learning alone. Do 100% of staff need to be observed to be outstanding or is it most need to be achieving outstanding with the remaining getting good.

The reason I ask is that our Head is being a little coy over giving us a straight answer and we, as a staff, are feeling the pressure to ALL achieve outstanding in our next inspection and are fearing for our continued employment if we don't.

Thanks for your help.

2. purplepearlopal

Hi everyone,
    Was just wondering if anyone had any info on how outstanding is acheieved through teaching and learning alone. Do 100% of staff need to be observed to be outstanding or is it most need to be achieving outstanding with the remaining getting good.

The reason I ask is that our Head is being a little coy over giving us a straight answer and we, as a staff, are feeling the pressure to ALL achieve outstanding in our next inspection and are fearing for our continued employment if we don't.

Thanks for your help.

3. Dont think such statistics exist and dont think HT is being coy. T&L isnt something that stand alone gives Ofsted grade, that said T&L is the key without this element you cant get a good grade. Think HTs would want all staff to aim to be good and outstanding at all times to ensure good learning. In reality all lessons couldnt be outstanding. You cant lose job for not being outstanding, only way to lose job in this way would be if inadequate repeatedly and failed to improve as part of competancy procedures

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Who cares? Drink Pimms! We're only halfway through the hols!

5. No. My school got Outstanding and most teachers didn't get graded as such, in fact only three had full lessons watched, the others had about 20 minutes. And one was judged unsatisfactory. You certainly should not be fearing for your employment if you have a permanent contract. If in the unlikely event that OFSTED found your teaching was inadequate the first port of call would be to your management who should have already known this and had done something about it. It is almost impossible to sack a poor teacher (it shouldn't be but it is), and it would be expected that vast amounts of support and training be given to that teacher prior to their dismissal. So no, unless you have a temporary contract or are agency staff, you will not be sacked on the basis of an OFSTED judgment.

6. And also (and I don't mean to be cynical) but sometimes Ofsted come in with a predetermined 'agenda'
    In my recent ofsted my lesson was judged as good. When I asked how it could be better he said, 'I don't know'. He also said there was a 'real buzz for learning' in the room and that the children all made progress. What more could I do?
    When I spoke to SMT they said thay thought it didn't matter what we did - no lessons would be judged as outstanding as our results were not!

7. Don't worry about it too much.
    As already mentioned, if results and progress aren't outstanding then you can't be graded as outstanding.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's the point. Your results have to be outstanding - but are only so if they exceed the targets for the specific year groups as determined by previous achievement/testing.
    That's why Ofsted no longer bother doing very much observation.

9. [​IMG]

10. purplepearlopal

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. It's good to know that 100% of staff don't have to have achieved outstanding to deem the school outstanding. I know our school has a mixture of good and outstanding staff. Also, interesting point about results needing to be outstanding as this is something we, as a whole school, need to work on.