1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is it where you are? Have you had lots of work? Or not?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Ostpreussen, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I'm secondary , Birmingham. Only had a day so far but am setting up my own business. Also only with one agency so should join some more!
    Will go back to supply after Easter to bring in some much-needed dosh. But only for 3 days a week as want to stay sigining on and work under the 16 hour limit.
    How has it been for you? Better or worse than last year? Where are you?
    Secondary or primary? How have you maximised work?
    Have you worked alongside supply teaching?

2. I'm secondary , Birmingham. Only had a day so far but am setting up my own business. Also only with one agency so should join some more!
    Will go back to supply after Easter to bring in some much-needed dosh. But only for 3 days a week as want to stay sigining on and work under the 16 hour limit.
    How has it been for you? Better or worse than last year? Where are you?
    Secondary or primary? How have you maximised work?
    Have you worked alongside supply teaching?

3. Primary and SEN in South Yorkshire. Autumn term was dreadful, so bad I took on a part time job at a call centre although laryngitis 3 weeks into training knocked that on the head! From mid January on I have been really busy and lots of days had calls from all 3 agencies I am registered with. Again everything will probably change after Easter. Over the years suply has been pretty regular for me but this has changed over last 18 months to 2 years.

4. I'm secondary and have worked every day this spring term apart from the first week and the odd day that I booked off to do personal stuff. I'm with two agencies. Had a nice three weeks doing my own subject in a good school, a few days primary and lots of day to day stuff in schools that I don't mind going to. I've been lucky this term, could have worked twice over some days, which has been great after the very slow autumn term. I'm in SE Wales. Can't compare with last year as I was on a long term then. I will be interested to see how the summer goes now.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Really good to hear people posting about work.
    My own sorry tale is only one phone call (which I couldn't do due to surgery on my hand) all year!
    Definitely my worst year for about 5 years.

6. alfandkels

alfandkels New commenter

Worked everyday since January and booked up for next half term :) I'm secondary in hull.

7. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Primary -Midlands-

I only work for one agency and I do not drive. Work was a little slow around Christmas but this term I have had the opportunity to work everyday and got a Friday booking til July! Ive booked a few days off just to get stuff done! I work around 4 days each week.

8. Secondary, London. Half a day teaching and three days TA since April 2011.

9. I am in London and teach physical science. Joined a few agencies, but nothing but very sporadic CA work in the last two years.

10. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Primary, Midlands - worked for all but about 5 days since September and 2 of those days I had booked off. My agency paid me for the two days. I love my agency!

11. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I have had some work in both primary and secondary in the last few weeks, but overall it as been another poor academic year for me in Manchester/North West.

12. I have had work in the same school every week, apart from one week and the holidays since last June. Started working there as a TA but now I get teaching work at least half a day a week. I must be be very lucky!

13. thats terrible, whereabouts in the country are you?
    i live in the north west, thought there'd be loads but after a promising start at a sixth form college in jan for ten days - one day (the sorry tale of which is on here somewhere [​IMG])
    have a new job soon, thank god ...

14. Primary, north east England. Started teaching Jan 2011 and was fairly busy till May 2011, then it went quiet after SATS. Autumn term was dire, not enough teaching but supplemented it with nursery work. Very dissatisfied and signed up with more agencies in the hope of getting more work. Last term started off still dismally quiet, but then it picked up. I had 4 weeks of half days at one school; on two days I worked a.m. in one school and p.m. in the other. While this was going on, I had other agencies wanting me to work on days when unfotunately I was already committed to doing these half days. Next term, who knows?
    By being willing to go anywhere and do anything; being dressed and having had breakfast by 0730 each morning just in case of a same-day callout; and scrupulously making sure that I tell all the agencies which days or half-days I am available, and updating them when it changes. Sometimes I ring them first thing in the morning, just to remind them that I exist and am eager to work, but I haven't found that very fruitful.

15. Secondary, Science, Lancashire/North West - I'm working in ASDA

16. South west. Been working near on 5days a week apart from a couple of personal days. Some days (when I wasn't available) I could have worked twice over! Have one day a week booked in the same school for the summer term and already have another day booked for first week back.
    Hopefully it will continue but I know July will be quiet.

Good luck to all of you, I know it's bad in other places.

17. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have been doing OK in the South West too. But definately less work around compared to previous years.

18. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I'm secondary science and maths and before Christmas was absolutely dire - only four days. Since Christmas, and in particular this last half term I've been very busy, with 30 days or part days in total. Most of my work has come through two agencies, but I have now joined another three and had to turn down work from the two others in the past three weeks as I was either on holiday or already booked up.
    Also do exam marking in January and June which keeps the pennies coming in.
    Applying for permanent jobs still, and if I don't have a permanent job come September (or at least a long-term contract) I will seriously consider my options. I am on M5, which I believe is a barrier to me getting long-term supply work (thanks, AWR) and also has been a factor in finding permanent work.
    My fiance has also just been laid off so we are looking into other ideas, maybe setting up a business together. Who knows!

19. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

I'm averaging about three days a week. I've also been getting more advanced booked work, which is good. I also recently turned down work because I knew the school was a way away and also pretty poor behaviour wise. I decided it wasn't worth the stress. I sat down and decided what I could do instead. A few minutes later, I got another call.. for work at a school in my town! I wonder if the agency had got me down as someone who would do anything - as I don't usually refuse work - and so offered me the other work first!

20. I've averaged 3 days a week up to now and have a long term placement for this coming term. I only wanted 3 days a week so have turned down some work I could have had. I'm on UPS2 abd AWR kicks in soon so I know I've done well. I'm in Milton Keynes and only work through one agency.