1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is EYFS data used in Y1?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mystery10, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Mmm at the school I am a parent at I am not sure which would be the better way round - to forget the profile data in year 1 and build up their own opinion from scratch, or to be trained in using it and then work more closely with reception on understanding what their data really does mean and maybe explaining some of the things it would be handy for kids coming up into year 1 to be able to do. The latter should be the more desirable answer, but I don't see that meaningful work between year 1 and reception would take place.
    But as a parent I can see that much of the profile will not really not be much help at all to a year 1 teacher, even if there was close and cooperative working between year 1 and reception.
    I can see why lots of you might say it's of no use at all to year 1. It's a shame though isn't it when this is really its main purpose? What's stopping you working with year 1 to find out what would be useful to them?
    Maybe this is going to be the more sensible focus now, rather than heaps of evidence from observations in child initiated situations?

2. APP is not statutory and is being left by the government to wither on the vine.

3. It is not about training Year 1 teachers. It is about the fitness for purpose of EYFS assessment, both formative and summative. As a Y1 teacher I get FSP scores, files and files of post-its, photos, banal comments about children, etc. The FSP statements are vague and woolly and lack any useful focus. Files of photos tell me nothing. Post-its, observations, etc. tell me nothing of value (most of the info is out of date even if it did). It really doesn't take me long in September to find out what I need to know about my class. Stop wasting taxpayers money on this bureaucracy and spend the time teaching the children.

Reception teachers, in my experience, are not interested in finding out what Year 1 teachers want. When we ask, for example, for them to teach correct letter formation, they quote EY advisors, saying they want to but it would be frowned upon by OFSTED.

4. *whither

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

APP has never been statutory but tell that to the teachers who are completing it for every child in their class because their head has decided it is a good thing.

6. mystery10

I have heard of APP ......... but yes, when I saw it on a course, it was not what I as expecting. How did it turn into such a great rigmarole? It was not what was expecting from its title and purpose.
    I was interested in the comment one of you made that reception teachers are not interested in what year 1 teachers want the children to be able to do e.g. decent letter formation.
    That's my experience too - I've asked as a parent if my child can be taught some decent letter formation at school in reception as all she is doing is ingraining her own way of doing it that she taught herself at nursery school. OK, I hinted at this, I wasn't as bold as this in my request.
    But nevertheless it's like I asked them to teach her how to gamble, or drink wine, or set fire to her farts.
    If they tell me all of this is because of the random utterings of some early years advisor who is busy scurrying round the county trying to stop children learning anything in reception because it is so bad for them, I'm going to ask to meet the early years advisor whoever he or she is. He or she could come along and explain their ideas to parents too and have a question and answer session so that we can understand it better - maybe I have just misunderstood it all, but I do feel that my niece and nephew had a better deal in reception 18-20 years ago in the dark ages than their young cousins are getting now.

7. Msz

They modelled it on the EYFS profile ...
    Mystery10 the simple fact is teachers in EYs are too accommodating taking on extra work and hours that their counterparts in other KSs would run screaming to the unions if asked to do. Some see advisers as all powerful and don't dare question the pearls of wisdom others question but comply and a few dig their heels in and do what they know is right. Now the outcome of the final method is largely dependent upon the support of a head teacher who may or may not know a damn thing about small children.
    Luckily for me being the third type I had a head who supports his staff.

8. We used the data from the EYFS to inform our planning and groups at the start of Year 1 as well as putting in place the support needed for children who from the evidence gathered in YR required additional support e.g. phonics, reading, maths, writing. We then continued to assess using the ELGs for those for whom it was appropriate i.e. had not achieved all the ELGs in Lit & Num for the Autumn term - you are allowed to do this. However, we did find that most children had made progress during the summer from the cut off date for the data and the start of Year 1 exactly like we would in any other year group.
    Hope this helps.

9. I think you may be missing the point. The EYFS assessment is so broad, so massive as to make the data it provides so unfocused that it is useless to a Y1 teacher. When the new class comes in September I need to know where they are in reading, writing and maths and where to go next.I find that out myself. I never understood why Y1s use the ELGs for the first term.

10. Msz

Do you not talk to the reception staff and look at the children's work?

11. mystery10

Talking to the reception staff and looking at the children's work sounds like a logical start. But, that depends on the reception teacher whether this is going to be enlightening or not.
    I'm sure with many reception class teachers it would be, but with others who have got a bit too caught up on observing nothing in particular, and have not done much reading, writing and maths at school, it won't be much help. Talking to the parents would reveal more.

12. Thanks to all for your responses, it will certainly help.[​IMG] It is a question for the head. I struggle witht the fact that the rest of the school works on one, linear system and I am stuck out on a limb using a system that I ultimately don't have faith in. I want to use something that feeds into the rest of the school. I want to be the beginning of our school rather than finishing of the faoundation stage which has been largely completed in other settings. Enough rambling rant, I am tired and fed up with it all.
    That would certainly be a happy happy day.

13. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

I agree with those posters who find the EYFS profile information wooly and vague- this has been my experience of it too. When I taught in y1, I had children who had achieved really well on the profile for reading- F6 and F7, but couldn't actually recognise more than 5 words in or out of context,on their own. How did that come about? Because the profile statements for reading are, imho, related to reading behaviour and not to that child as a reader. We all know reading behaviour is what we want to encourage, but having 90% of a y1 year group- no exaggeration- who could not read more than 5 words was a total nightmare for a long time. My comment would that certainly with regard to reading, EYFS profile leaves a lot to be desired and that y1 teachers need hard facts about who knows what so that they can focus their teaching- and use APP - to plan the next learning, from where the child is really at rather than trying to work out why two totally different ability children have scored the same on the FS Profile.

14. Msz

because you don't actually have to be able to read anything to score average points on the profile. But if you knew the profile you would know that and not expect better but you are in good company according to the TES report
    Bernadette Duffy, head of Thomas Coram Early Childhood Centre in
    London and a member of the review panel, said phonics - the linking of
    sounds and letters - had been a successful strategy, but improvements in
    reading had lagged behind.

“If you look at the early-years
    foundation stage profile results, linking sounds to letters has gone up,
    but that has not necessarily been matched by a similar increase in
    children’s reading,” she said.

15. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

ooops......and be able to write a sentence, recognise and use numbers within 10, etc, etc...when they leave Reception

16. Msz

No! infact there is guidance from the DfE saying it shouldn't be used for that purpose
    The primary purpose of the EYFS profile is to provide year 1
    teachers and parents with reliable and accurate information about each
    child's level of development as they reach the end of the EYFS. This
    will enable the teacher to plan an effective, responsive and
    appropriate curriculum that will meet all children's needs, to support
    their continued achievement more fully.

The Early Years Foundation Stage Profile (EYFSP) is a way of summing up each child`s development and learning achievement at the end of the Foundation Stage. It is based on ongoing observation and assessments in all 6 areas of learning and development. Its primary purpose is to provide Year I practitioners with reliable and accurate information about each child`s level of development at the end of the foundation stage. It is manifestly not a mechanism for outside bodies (LAs, SIPs, Ofsted) to use as a stick to berate a school`s performance or target setting procedures. It is therefore the use to which some outside bodies use such recorded information that is challenged.

The Early Years Foundation Stage Profile (EYFSP)is a way of summing
    up each child`s development and learning achievement at the end of the
    Foundation Stage. Its primary purpose is to provide Year 1 practitioners
    with reliable and accurate information about each child`s level of
    development. Members are reminded that it is NOT a
    mechanism for agencies such as LAs, SIPs and Ofsted to use as a marker
    for future achievement, and should therefore play no part in the target
    setting procedure, or relate directly to KS1 and KS2 outcomes.

• <li class="MsoNormal">Good, holistic EYFS practice, in Jan`s
      opinion, tends to manifest itself at ages 11 to 14 in terms of
      confidence, creativity and self esteem, not at KS1 or KS2 SATs level.

<u>The message is therefore clear. No outside bodies should be applying
    undue and inappropriate pressure on schools with regards to EYFSP
    outcomes when discussing targets for later years` achievements or
    national curriculum test results.
    </u>

17. This statement is mired in whole language / multi-cueing methods of teaching reading. What I need to know about in reading, as a Y1 teacher, is how well a child has mastered the alphabetic code and how well they blend to read words, not how well they can guess words in "look and say" books. If they "know" just the first 6 letters in the L&S sequence and can blend, they will be able to read far more than 20 words (a, as, at, an, sat, ant, ants, sit, etc, etc.) If reading is being taught properly in Reception virtually no child should be achieving lower than this.

18. Msz

now to know if a child can do that you don't use the reading strand of the profile you look at <u>Linking Sounds and Letters</u>!

19. Msz

Blends sounds in words
    Uses phonic knowledge to read simple regular words
    Attempts to read more complex words, using phonic knowledge
    so a high score in LSL is a better indication thana one in reading

20. ....but is so vague and to be of no use to me. As I said previously, a child who knows only the first 6 letters of the L&S teaching sequence and can blend, can read an array of words. Give them words containing any other letter and they will read none. The phrase "Attempts to read more complex words...." makes me chuckle. I might attempt to fly or run the four minute mile.