1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How is everyone feeling about next weeks SATs?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by RGJM2012, May 12, 2019.

1. RGJM2012

RGJM2012 New commenter

Obviously, no details once we get going tomorrow, but how is everyone feeling? Any predictions at what the thresholds might be this year? We had a high bar in 16, a dip in 17 and a big jump back up in 18 - where will this years bar be set?

I have the same small groups of wobbly children who could go either way, a big chunk of children requiring access arrangements and a headache just thinking about it all o_O

Roll on Friday!!

Good luck to all my fellow year 6 colleagues out there and their classes!!

cassandramark2 likes this.
  2. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

I just can’t wait for Thursday break-time. It’s all so pointless. If the papers seem less challenging, the thresholds will increase (and vice-versa) according to whatever spin is required by the government of the day. Although I’m fortunate enough to work in a school where our demographics mean that we are not forced to sacrifice creativity and cross-curricular opportunities, I know that this is not the case elsewhere, with a heavy emphasis upon maths and English, plus booster and holiday classes.

To quote Thoreau:
    ‘What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook’.

hardup and nick909 like this.
  3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I am feeling very zen and I hope the children in my class are. I've done my best to make sure that's the case.

I am happy that I've taught them what they need to know, and will continue to do this until the end of the year, so that they're ready for the KS3 curriculum. Our demographics mean we would normally be the sort of school that does endless boosting and holiday classes right from September each year, and sacrifices the rest of the curriculum for two and a half terms as well, but thankfully my SLT sees this as abhorrent practice, so we don't.

We'll see what the test results bring, but it's of no real relevance to the kids. Hothousing them to do well in them seems like a total waste of their time.

Regardless, best of luck to all Y6 pupils, and all Y6 teachers and teaching staff. And thank you to all other staff and children in schools who are having to change their week to accommodate the tests, by vacating classrooms, losing Teaching Assistants and having breaktimes shifted, etc.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. Alenamai

Alenamai Occasional commenter

Good luck everyone.

catbefriender likes this.
  5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

This is one of the most sensible posts about the KS2 tests I have seen.

nick909 and catbefriender like this.
  6. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

I feel like I've done as much as I can to prepare them. The kids seemed quite chipper after the morning's events. What will be, will be. :)
    I was, however, slightly rankled on Friday when the chn received good luck cards from the year below and several of them had written in them:
    'Don't worry - the SATs are not to test your ability but they are done to test the teaching ability of your class teacher.'
    Or words to that effect. The fact that quite a few had written similar sentiments gave me reason to believe that their teacher had brought up this 'fact' in a class discussion! Grr!

I was rather irked by this, considering that the SATs covers the KS2 curriculum, not just year 6! It's a bloomin' group responsibility!

7. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

It might be that they’re repeating what they’ve been told at home, rather than something mentioned by the Y5 teacher.

I’ve had to grit my teeth when the offspring of secondary teachers announce that their parents have told them not to aim too high as it’ll only make things harder for them in their next school. :confused:

8. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Glad you're feeling chilled, I hope that's rubbed off on the kids too. And worry not about their futures. If they can read and write they are ready for the secondary school curriculum! It would be advantageous if they are diligent and reasonable problem solvers on top.
    From a secondary school teacher point of view we want them to get sh**t results for ours and their sake. But we feel your pain.

nick909 and hardup like this.
  9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I was rather thinking of the maths curriculum, but they can all read and write very well, so they should be absolutely fine, then!

10. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

Well, I'd think that had it not been for the fact that a fair number had written virtually same message. Defo the discussion had in the class I'm afraid.

11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I always used to say to my staff that the job of the Y6 teacher was to put the icing on the cake. It was not to bake the cake!

12. teacher1332

teacher1332 New commenter

And certainly not to buy the ingredients!

RepelloInimicum and Sally006 like this.
  13. RGJM2012

RGJM2012 New commenter

I attended a course last year that broke down exactly what appeared in the SATs percentage wise and where those objectives are taught. It was only about 50% that was purely taught in year 6, the rest relied on our 3,4 and 5 colleagues. I took that back to school and spent time during a staff meeting reiterating that message (with a nice pie chart for the visual learners ;)) and since then I have felt much more supported by subject leaders monitoring that all objectives have been covered across KS2.
    But what do I know - year 6 is easy, all we do is a test and a performance, eh :D

14. Sally006

Sally006 Occasional commenter

Sadly, there is a complete lack of awareness of this in schools and until others teach Y6 themselves they will never quite believe what you end up doing and what individual pressure you are under. It is not their problem. It doesn’t matter how many times you remind colleagues that this is an end of KS2 assessment not a Y6 assessment. They will never have sleepless nights before SATs week or official writing moderation - only the Y6 teacher (and Y2 teacher to some extent) gets this.

RGJM2012 and lardylegs like this.