1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how is an english degree relevant to national curriculum?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by mcramd, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hello
    I am wondering if anyone can help me with the following question
    how is an english degree relevant to national curriculum?
    I am awaiting my english pgce interview and i have been advised that this question may come up in the interview process and although i am aware of the national curriculum i do not know what would be a decent answer.
    Please help
    Thanks

2. shoegal44

shoegal44 New commenter

Hiya,

A friend of mine was asked this question for her English PGCE interview (thank god I wasn't)!

She answered that the skills you learn in English are transferable to every subject: the ability to write clearly, to structure an argument, the ability to verbally argue a point, reading skills etc. She said that the interviewer seemed very impressed!

Hope that helps, and good luck! I had my English PGCE interview in November and I'm still waiting!!

3. Thats brilliant, thankyou very much.
    It gives me a better idea of what to say.
    Hope that you here something back soon, its a pain with all the government places etc as the unis just dont know how many they have. Fingers crossed you get it!