1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how is a Skype cam interview different ?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mariadelasol, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mariadelasol

Mariadelasol New commenter

I have my Skype webcam all set up for an interview
    but I have never done this before and I am nervous.

Any tips/advice about conducting a good/successful Skype webcam
    phone call ?

2. Busstopjen

Busstopjen New commenter

I've done a few of these now. So, from my experience: don't be surprised/put off if they're running late, get online with plenty of time to spare and do a 'test call' to test your sound/connection.

I have a look on my web cam so I can check out what they'll be seeing, and you can therefore make sure you're not too close/far/have stuff in the background poking out of your head/good lighting. Make sure your battery is charged!

Other than that, it's just like any other interview- smile, be polite, dress for an interview (top half at least!) and make sure you know your own cv/letter inside and out! Good luck! :D

3. I would add that you shouldn't sit too close to the laptop. Centre it on the table and seat yourself back a little. Check that you are centred on your webcam. Smile. Don't fidget. Shut the cat out of the room. (I write from experience here.)