1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How important is the Uni

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

To save some money i have decided to live with my parents for my pgce year and have applied to a local uni. the thing is that it doesnt have a great reputation and i would never have dreamed of appling there to do my actual degree. How important is the Uni that you do your PGCE at? I kinda figured that employers would be more interested in where i completed my degree. Also ill spend most of my time in placement schools so the uni isnt too important. What does everyone think?

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

To save some money i have decided to live with my parents for my pgce year and have applied to a local uni. the thing is that it doesnt have a great reputation and i would never have dreamed of appling there to do my actual degree. How important is the Uni that you do your PGCE at? I kinda figured that employers would be more interested in where i completed my degree. Also ill spend most of my time in placement schools so the uni isnt too important. What does everyone think?

3. It's not just about what employers think of the school. it should also be about what you want from the school.

I chose my university because it has been assessed as "Outstanding" by Ofsted with regards to their provision of secondary PGCE. I want to get the best I possibley can.... to be taught by, and guided through teaching practice by people who Ofsted think are bloody brilliant at helping create good new teachers.
    When it comes to employment, head teachers will have some preference I think and are aware of what the better schools are (my best friend is a Deputy head of a primary school and she knows which ones she prefers!)
    Ultimately it comes down to you though. You have to make the best of what you can get. and when it comes to getting jobs know how to sell yourself. Make sure you get all the support you should be getting from the university during the PGCE.

Good luck.

I <u>didn't</u> go to one of the best, most well uni for my undergraduate...but I currently work for a large company where most people seem to have studied at cambridge and oxford etc. It's all about how you sell yourself once you have the qulifications behind you.