1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How important is an MA or and M ED if you want to be on SLT?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Stratosphere, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Having a higher degree or two is all very well. The only way I would actually consider it to employ somebody is if they were totally equal in every other way.
    The fact of the matter is most people can do a Masters if they want to. It would only add value to a candidate if it improved their practice. How would a masters improve your classroom environment? In many ways it can, but you would need to be sure you could evidence this when applying for jobs.
    My second masters is specifically leadership related. It allows me to reflect on my own practice, giving me ideas for improvement. The amount of reading I have done regarding best educational practice and reviews on critical incidents give me an idea of how to handle specific situatons. You need to show how you have put this into practice for a masters to actually mean anything.
    In short, a masters is a piece of paper, it is what YOU make of it that will make you more employable at senior level.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Absolutely.

3. oldskool71

oldskool71 New commenter

Great advice, thanks.
    Middlemarch you were talking about depth of experience. Does that mean that to get a job in aleadership team you ideally need 5 years min experience in a middle leadership role?

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I couldn't actually put a quantification on it, because everyone is different - we all take more or less from our various experiences and there are some people - for example - who might have longer, more varied experience at a more junior level who need less at middle management level (does that make sense?).
    I continue to argue that not only are very few people so gifted that they can <strike>rampage</strike> 'fast-track' in a matter of moments to leadership and even headship, but it can be deeply damaging to them and to their schools if they do so; moreover, given how long people are being increasingly expected to work before they can draw their pensions, coupled with how stressful and precarious leadership (especially headship) posts are, I advise absolutely everyone to slow down, take your time, get lots of experience and be sure you're more than ready to step up.