1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How ill do YOU need to be to take a day off work?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

It's always the same: if someone comes in to work feeling poorly, I say to them, "Oh you daft thing, you should have stayed at home, your health is more important!" But when it comes to my own illness, I'm filled with dread at the thought of phoning in sick. I'm sitting here wondering, "Am I really ill enough to need a day off?".
    I've been poorly for pretty much the whole half-term. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was wiped out completely and sofa ridden feeling shivery, achey and sick to my stomach. Thursday and Friday I felt better, but still very tired. Saturday was OK, but Sunday I came down with a cold, headache and sore throat.
    This morning, my throat is sore still, headache still there and nose is running like mad. Have taken some paracetamol, but just getting in the shower to get ready for work has worn me out. I'm wondering how I'm going to cope with 5 lessons today plus two lots of duty and meetings after work.
    So, how ill do YOU think is sick enough to be off work? Do you literally need to be in danger of losing a limb to stay off? Would you stay at home with a sore throat? (I've already completely lost my voice once, about this time last year, so bit worried about that too).
    Arrrggggghhh, hate hate hate being ill. I'm always filled with angst.
    Eva x x x (sniffle, cough, sniff)

2. Stay at home. I need to be less sick than used to be the case. Years of seeing the parasites take a day off for nothing has left me less than willing to drag a walking corpse into school.

3. I hardly ever have a day off due to an illness, I enjoy my job too much! [​IMG]
    It sounds like you might be best staying at home today, then seeing how you feel tomorrow. You don't really want a headache and a sore throat on the start of a next half-term!

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I think if I was your HT I'd be a bit miffed you didn't decide to stay home last night. I hope you feel better soon.

5. Eva_Smith

Well I've taken the day off....hate ringing in a trying to explain how I'm feeling, always feel so pathetic.
    Mandla, not sure what you mean. Do you mean that the HT would rather I'd got in touch last night to let him know I was ill? I agree that as much notice as possible is best, but surely he'd rather I at least saw how I felt on the actual day and made an effort to go in?

6. At my school they have set up a text service. You or a family member can send a text the normal cover manager's mobile.
    This saves ringing in and actually speaking to somebody.

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Not if you are going to infect others. You are a hotbed of germs :D

8. Eva_Smith

My school like to actually HEAR how ill your really are. You have to strike a balance between wanting to convey that you really are too poorly to be at work and sounding like you're putting it on. Last year, I lost my voice complete for a full week. I came to work for the first two days (stupid stupid) then had to call in sick the third day, but obviously couldn't speak, so sent a text to a colleague who called and informed school for me at 7.30am. The cover manager wasn't happy at all! Oops.
    Ouch, have just sneezed and it really hurt my throat!
    God I'm pathetic today.

*shuffles off to find lemsip and paracetamol*

9. Oh Dear! Hope you get well soon!

10. Hope you feel better soon, Eva!

Be careful double dosing with lemsip and paracetamol - there's paracetamol in lemsip!

11. Eva_Smith

Aye, will do. I'm alternating does of the too, Glitterkid. :)

12. I stayed at home if I had a fever, or had vomiting and diarrhoea. Just common sense as you'll be no use to anybody. But I went to work with heavy colds.

13. With a cold, I know i should stay off to avoid infecting anyone else, but guilt gets the better of me and I go in if i can stand up straight.
    Today however I am at home. I daren't be more than a few metres from the bathroom. Not sure what it is as I feel fine (and guilty) between episodes.

14. Eva_Smith

This is usually what I do. But today I can't really talk either, and my brain is all fuzzy.

15. In the beginning it was when I could not get out of the bed or stand up without feeling faint.
    Then, I became depressed so that impacted on my perspective and it became when I just couldnt face going in which became a lot - luckily that has passed for the most part.
    Then I got well for a while and it became that I took a day off when I was ill enough that I knew that if I went in I would end up so ill Id miss a lot of days or if I took one day now then Id recover enough to keep recovering while working.
    No one is indispensible....your health and well being (physical, mental and emotional)needs to be your priority.
    As an old DH used to tell me....Don't be a Hero, You'll only end up shot in the war regardless!!!
    Today I didnt go in- I have been low and suicidal for 2 days and thinking of slashing my wrists (just writing that makes me see how low my mood has become) so even though I felt a bit better today and functional I took today to go see my GP and link up with my psych - I still feel rubbish and up down up down but slightly calmer and more able to cope. Tomorrow when I go back I know I will be able to deal with the day and subsequent days. I neeed today as a MH day. You needed today as a PH day.
    Rest, Relax and Return when healthy xxx

16. Eva_Smith

Oh my goodness, now I really do feel like a fraud. I can't imagine anything more terrible than suffering from depression. I hope you feel ebtter soon and that somethign works to make you better at last. x

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm off today because I would be a physical liability at school: have hurt my knee so I cannot:
    • drive to school safely in the first place
    • walk around the buildings or the classroom without it being a really "ham" hobble/limp
    • get up/down stairs other than on my bum
    • think clearly due to the codeine in the painkillers
    However, tomorrow I can get a lift and just have 3 easy classes in the same room that I can teach from a chair, so I will be there!

18. Unless I have something catching, I drag myself to work.
    A cold will not keep me at home - flu would.
    A slight tummy ache would not keep me at home - knowing I have some yucky bug would.
    If I can walk, I can work. If I have some yucky bugs that could be passed on, I stay at home.

19. If I can't get up I don't go to work. If I am able to get up and dressed then I am in. I have sometimes been too optimistic though and got into work only to come home again. I think the guilt is less nowadays that the burden does not fall on colleagues. Having said that, some colleagues did not see it as a burden at all anyway.

20. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

You shouldn't go into work if you are ill, no matter how much you enjoy your job. I hate it when the usual martyrs drag themselves in, spreading their lurgies, and infecting everyone else. I'm pretty hale and hearty so I rarely have time off, but wouldn't hesitate to phone in sick if I were ill.