1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How I survive: American teachers and their second jobs – article

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Sep 6, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What is the Brexit link?

sabrinakat and nomad like this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That was pretty much the inspiration for Breaking Bad. Terrible.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes, I thought it was common knowledge that the USA poorly paid their teachers?

And that Labour got inspiration for Academy Schools from the US Charter School model which is itself a driver of downward pressure on teacher's salaries. Then continued by the Tories.

As InkyP says, Breaking Bad used this.

No idea what it has to do with Brexit.

nomad likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

Ahh..Never watched it.

6. FrankWolley

Strong wish to introduce US norms into the UK by Brexiteers such as Liam Fox... e.g. privatisation of parts of the NHS.

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Tenuous.

lanokia and nomad like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

People have been pushing NHS privatisation since the market reforms of Thatcher in the 1980s.

Teacher's pay is a worthy topic and the USA is a good warning sign of the way things could go... trying to force it through the Brexit-shaped hole isn't helping the subject.

nomad likes this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An interesting article. Thanks for the link, @FrankWolley.

That said, I do not believe that Brexit has (or has ever had) anything to do with wishing to be more like America, only wanting to not become one of the United States of Europe.

10. FrankWolley

I don't think most (or even a significant number) of those who voted Leave did so to become more like the US, privatising the NHS, introducing chlorine washed chicken etc...

But I DO think a fair number of those leading the Brexit camapign DO want to do this...

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Americans are a bit mad.

How about this for a scam coming to a school near you, maybe. My sister in law teaches at an elementary school in the US. Their autumn term would normally start in the last week of August, and that is when the teachers go back. But there are no lessons. Instead, the teachers run activities which the children from the school can pay to come to. They range from art and music to a teddy bears' picnic, sports and so on. It was so 'successful' when they tried it last year that it's running again this year. American parents seem not to like their children much so they're mostly happy to pay for a week of school which their children should have had for free. Hmm.

American schools are very weird. Because they're much more locally funded than ours there is a huge disparity in funding between rich and poor areas. My nieces' school boasts about how it is so succesful, but given that it is in a very affluent area, and therefore well funded, and takes only the children from the parents in that very affluent area, it would be somewhat surpriosing if it did not achieve good results.

In spite of being in a lovely area my brother in law is terrified of the high school. American high schools are horrible places. He has got his children involved in lots of activities not so much because he thinks they're beneficial in themselves but because when they go to high school they will then have a nice clique to hang out with and won't be bullied or shunned, or at least, if they are, they'll have a clique to retreat to. Lovely system.

FrankWolley likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The continuing disconnect between leaders and led.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Pay varies enormously from State to State. Arizona is particularly low paid. Some states treat their teachers well. There is also variation within States between cities and rural areas.