1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How high are standards on the English forum?

Discussion in 'English' started by physics_suits_you, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I've never posted on here before, concentrating on Science, Personal and Retirement. However, I do believe that children only get one chance at education and that they deserve the best available. Sometimes I see spelling or grammatical mistakes but I usually ignore them; sometimes I make them myself. [​IMG].
    Unfortunately, I felt compelled to comment on this BEFORE wondering how it would go down on here.
    "I've just taken on an English class once a week to top up my hours of teaching so I am not one under, and I wanted to encorporate English and Science together in that lesson - does anyone have any ideas what I can do with the group? They are a year 8 foundation class and I pretty much have free scope as to what I do!"
    Do you worry about errors in these sorts of posts?

2. I've never posted on here before, concentrating on Science, Personal and Retirement. However, I do believe that children only get one chance at education and that they deserve the best available. Sometimes I see spelling or grammatical mistakes but I usually ignore them; sometimes I make them myself. [​IMG].
    Unfortunately, I felt compelled to comment on this BEFORE wondering how it would go down on here.
    "I've just taken on an English class once a week to top up my hours of teaching so I am not one under, and I wanted to encorporate English and Science together in that lesson - does anyone have any ideas what I can do with the group? They are a year 8 foundation class and I pretty much have free scope as to what I do!"
    Do you worry about errors in these sorts of posts?

3. amylong

amylong New commenter

No-many posters are probably on here to gain advice, possibly also with other school-related things to get cracking with-they rush their posts as a result. I certainly do! We all know what it's like when you're rushing a message along-I certainly made lots of typing errors and one spelling error, plus a grammatical error-but then checked it due to the topic of this post!! ;)

4. Sometimes people are worryingly illiterate; sometimes people make stupid mistakes. I pride myself on my spelling and grammar being pretty damn good, but I once on the internet (to my eternal shame) told someone to write "medias" as the plural of "medium". I was rushing and not really concentrating and realised my error as soon as I had posted it, of course - but that's it, it's out there forever once you've hit submit, and no-one knows if you knew it was wrong or not. (I was shot down in flames, particularly as they knew I was an English teacher!) So I've learnt to judge not, lest I be judged...I don't think people are as careful with their SPG online as they are in RL.