1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How have people been teaching food technology during lock down

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by stuartf_1992, Jun 16, 2020.

1. stuartf_1992

stuartf_1992 New commenter

Hi there.

Has anyone been continuing to teach food tech remotely during lockdown.

I have been continuing to teach the theory side of my syllabus however i really want to provide the children with practical lessons asap any ideas?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would say that the only issue you face is ensuring the lessons are accessible to all. On that basis, rather than choosing a particular recipe to prepare (requiring all pupils to have the same ingredients), you could set more generic tasks (eg. "a salad" could be a green salad, pasta salad, potato salad, fruit salad, etc). One food technology lesson I remember from my school days was planning and preparing a healthy meal.

Alternatively, could you prepare a list of 'store cupboard essentials' that will be needed for a set of practical lessons, and then additional ingredients that can be added if you want to? An example of what I mean could be:
    Essential ingredients
    Flour, butter, eggs, sugar, milk
    Lesson 1: make pasta sauce
    Lesson 2: make a cake
    etc
    Additional ingredients
    Cheese (to add to pasta sauce)
    Dried fruit/cocoa powder/chocolate chips (to add to cake)
    etc