1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How hard is year 6 curriculum?!!!!??!!!??!?!?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skills324, Jan 7, 2012.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Teaching yr 6 temporary for a term or so and finding some of the stuff I have to teach them quite difficult.

I have to teach numeracy from the unit plans. One of the mental starters is "16 divided by 0.5 = 32 Ask the children if this is correct?"
    The majority of them would just look at me blankly!!

I know (and will) adapt to meet the needs of my class etc, but I just feel at times some of the work is very difficult.
    How do people new to year 6 cope?

Any advice etc, greatly appreciated, I'm feeling quite stressed.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Change questions such as that around. 'How many halves make 16?' means much more and isn't all that difficult to demonstrate. When you ask if it is correct, look at all the other vocab around division and you'll get to the 'haw many are in...' idea. Or, if you must, 16 whole cakes chopped into halves, how many pieces?

They really shouldn't be looking at you blankly if they are going to get a level 4 or above. If you have a bottom set in a not very high achieving school then they might, but then you'd not be teaching this to them.

I'm sorry not to be more sympathetic, but I cannot see that anything in year 6 should be beyond the ability of a teacher qualified to teach them.

3. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Don't worry skills324, I am new to yr 6 this year too and I know it can be a bit daunting, as the materials may be initially unfamiliar, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Once you get to know the ability level of the children and see what they can do/struggle to do and go through their books, I'm sure you'll feel better.Have a good look at the curriculum too-perhaps one of those Scholastic maths new framework 100 lesson books would be useful, as it gives some differentiation for each lesson. Hope you enjoy.