1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How happy are you at your school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by comenius, Jan 7, 2011.

1. I started this thinking I was a 7 or maybe an 8 but as I've read on I realise that I'm probably a 9 and a 10 on a good day.
    No, we don't get days off for our birthday or massages but our head tries to accommodate our family commitments when necessary. We get our ppa and she would never conatct us at home unless it was really an emergency; we have a good team of people who, on the whole get on and we have a real laugh; our Governors are reasonable and provide lunch on INSET days; our children are lovely and their parents - well they are their parents - but most of the time they are lovely too! I have a 3 minute walking commute - if I walk quite slowly, I work part time in Reception, my favourite year group with a great colleague and excellent TA.
    So, yes a 9. I'm doing a job I love in a place I love and which values my contribution. I wish this for all of you who are still looking for the 'right fit' school.

2. Sometimes I'm a 0, sometimes I'm a 9. Most days, I'm 6-8.
    I go throough long periods where I feel valued by SMT, but then I also go through long periods where I do not. I have on and off days with SMT and my work colleagues, but my class are hardworking, mostly well behaved, opinionated, funny, independant in the most part and passionate and I think they are amazing. They are the people I work for and with, they are the people I spend the majority of my day with, they are the people who brighten every day and they are the people who ensure that no day is the same as the last. They are the people who make me a 8-9.

3. oh boy may I first say I do love my job BUT -1 at the moment in the happiness stakes.
    Like your self for lots of different reasons. Changes are good but not as many as we are experiencing. We can have three demands in a day for major materials.....APP files etc ,
    say no more.

4. i'd say a 1
    although the kids are lovely and the majority of staff are fab...
    management are not and this heavily impacts on the happiness of staff in the school e.g. too many unreasonable expectations, lots of observations (we arent in special measures or anything), spot checks, being spoken to like we are children, bitchy comments being made,
    unfortunately, i could go on and on and on with more... :(

5. Pupils 9 on the whole, colleagues range from a -1 to a 10; parents from a -10 to 10 (only a few, mind!)
    My Head is unreadable at times. Tricky to know where you stand from day to day. People skills probably need addressing.

As for getting your birthday off - I'd have to have a half birthday celebration I think - I am an August baby!

6. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

'I can't believe what I am reading about days off for birthdays and Xmas shopping, threading etc... I don't know what to think! I'm astonished'

Couldnt agree more...jeeez its that sort of rubbish that gets this profession a bad name...day off for xmas shopping? last year we broke up on Dec 17th for gods sake...if I was a parent who was paying the wages of these teachers at that school I would report the school to the LEA-Ive never heard anything so bl.oody stupid and blinded in all my life