1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How formal?!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by littlebeth, Jun 6, 2019.

1. littlebeth

littlebeth New commenter

We have had Ofsted for the last 2 days. Our ‘Early Year’s expert’ Ofsted inspector asked to see the children’s formal written maths work, writing books and only wanted to know what percentage had achieved literacy and numeracy. Apparently prime areas are not important! Is this what others have had or were we unlucky?
    We got good but am interested to see if other inspectors actually know and understand the ELGs or are just looking at a younger version of year 1.
    The inspector today would have loved them all sitting at desks

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Depends as ever on the inspector. I was once told my one that I shouldn't be reading stories to children (3 -4year olds) as I should have been doing text work. She was a so called early years expert too! I lost respect for OFSTED even though I later went to the dark side and became one! (not any more I hasten to add). I don't think there are that many genuine early years inspectors working in the school inspection system.
    It's not unusual to focus on literacy and/or numeracy if these are issues in the school, or LA, but they still won't get the GLD without the prime areas will they?

But you don't have to worry about it now. Next time could be completely different.

3. littlebeth

littlebeth New commenter

It makes me feel very frustrated that inspections are based on who you get rather than expertise. We are constantly judged on this. However I am asked to produce evidence which is not in anyway related to the eyfs curriculum. Where does it say recording number sentences and working with numbers larger than 20.

bobbles10 likes this.
  4. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

5. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

yes depends on inspector and I know one who doesn't understand play

6. littlebeth

littlebeth New commenter

I do not understand why we are not inspected by the same people who do preschool provision. It would make much more sense and at least they would have more of an idea of what good practice looks like

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Trouble is, the school inspection is a different framework, even the EYFS section. This hasn't changed in the new framework from September, in fact I think it's worse. The criteria for recruitment is also different.it's even worse that two year old provison in schools is being inspected by people who know nothing about two year olds. I know when I first started working with two year olds, it was a whole different ball game.

If your inspector is looking at beyond EYFS, are you a high achieving school? Are your exceeding judgements lower than what might be expected? This can be a thread that inspectors "pull" if they think the school should have more children reaching a higher level. I'm not saying that's the case but could it be?

8. bobbles10

bobbles10 New commenter

Don't worry it is about to change again. A school near me was too formal and not enough outside learning. Just try to balance teacher and child initiated learning, how you differentiate and how you record, looks like less worried about data. Seems not so worried about how you record and trust teacher judgement more (we hope)