1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

How far would you travel?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by albertdog, Apr 2, 2011.

1. I am glad for you, but are you sure it will work out?. Being supply, the job could end overnight. There is the cost of travelling, especially by car; driving in traffic is very stressful, and four hours out of a day when you have all the burdens of a regular teacher. In my experience, offers of 'extra money' to compensate for long journeys never materialise.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If it's long term with a regular wage it <u>may </u>be worth it just to get; regular work, a reference & something to fill the void on your futue job applications.
    But, if it takes 2 hours a day, think about factoring in staying for staff meeting, parents' evenings etc. Will you be able to avoid rush hour traffic if you stay behind & make that travelling time longer?
    Having done a 1 hour each way trip for 2 terms, 2 years ago, I admit I used to get annoyed that it was 'dead time' when I couldn't prepare or mark (I drove but if you were taking public transport you might be able to do this) & although sad at the end of the job to leave the kids & regular work I wasn't sad not to have to do the journey! I also had no extra allowance for petrol & the previous year I'd worked out I'd spent a 1/3 of my precious little money earnt on supply on petrol, so dicouldn't face working outhow much I'd spent on petrol that job!

3. If you are driving, even in a small, economical car, a journey of 110 miles will cost you around &pound;15 - 20 per day, at least. This means you will be working for one day each week, just to pay for petrol.
    On the other hand though, as you are doing supply, if another, closer job comes up, you can simply jump ship and leave. Lack of committment by a school cuts both ways.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've travelled a similar distance before and if you go through somewhere like Key Pay you can then claim breakfast, lunch and dinner and it does make it worthwhile. Aas regards receipts/random checks you can clain the full amount no matter how little you spend. I stop off the night before, get a cereal bar for brekkie, sarnie for lunch and yoghurt for dinner. That's fine, so long as you spend something! It is ok to buy the night before too. Also, the chances of you being spot checked are remote, especially as they expect you will clain all 3 when travelling a long way.
    I'd go for it.
    True, but another job won't come through your agency. This may only happen if you get another offer yourself or through another agency. Good agencies show loyalt to schools too once they've made a booking, but it doesn't stop you leaving if the job/travel genuinely doesn't suit you.

5. Trying to claim for petrol, etc may well be of dubious legality and likely to be stopped. I would imagine that your tax form would be tedious to fill in.
    Long-distance commutting is very draining over a sustained period, especially if you are driving. The early 1980s are very similar to today; schools closing, few jobs, etc. My first school closed but at least then the LEA redeployed you. However, I lived in a large, rural county, and got moved to a school nearly 70 miles away. It was either that or nothing. (I wonder when this time of maths teachers being in demand actually was?). There was no direct public transport route; the comparitively 'easy' route was two trains and a bus. At a time when I was earning about &pound;60 per week net, &pound;15 was going on fares, which quickly went up, as this was a time of high inflation. To be at school for about 8:15, I had to be standing on the station platform at about 5:30. Fortunately, parents' evenings were fewer then, but for these I had to drive in, as one of the trains stopped after the evening commutting period.
    After a while, I had to resort to covering the daily distance on a motorbike, both to keep the costs manageable, and due to train service cuts. Imagine a full days work sandwiched between a couple of two hour motorcycle rides, in all weathers. I was half my age then but a year of this broke me. Ironically, I then got a job in Inner London, which was a longer distance to travel but public transport was better and you did get &pound;730 a year weighting. [​IMG]

6. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

My nephew is head of a mobile security company and has to travel to different venues. He too is allowed to claim petrol.

7. Many thanks for all of your opinions and advice. I think I will go along for the interview and take it from there. I will be on Key as it seems the way most agencies are going anyway and I have been through them before although the distance before was minimal so I never really noticed any difference in my pay! Thanks Belle for the heads up about claiming food expenses! And if another job comes up your right Albert Dog supply works both ways. Thanks again to all it really is much appreciated.[​IMG] I will let you know how it goes!

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm prepared to go anywhere in my county (at LA rates as I'm only registered with their agency consortium). That means a maximum 110 mile round trip.
    If I was doing it long-term, the travelling would become an issue on days when I had to stay for parents evenings. I'd consider staying in a Travellodge /Premier Inn or similar on those nights. I'd rather pay &pound;29 or so to be able to get to bed a.s.a.p (with a longer lie-in the next day) than struggle to stay awake for the drive home and still be forking out &pound;15 or more for the return petrol.

9. How far I'll travel depends on how nice the school is to be honest - I'll happily go that little bit further (not too far as I drive a horrifically old and uncomfortable car and am not a confident driver) for a school where the kids are either nice, or the staff treat you well and back you up.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Ditto!
    I was once given the choice of work at a school 10 miles away and one 40 miles away and I chose the latter.

11. Lara mfl 05

Absolutely.

12. I will find out tomorrow, the job is ideal for me with an opportunity to get more experience in the field I want to really work in, so fingers crossed. But once again thanks for your comments it really is much appreciated.[​IMG]

13. Lara mfl 05

So nice to see people post thanks!

14. It also depends on the type of commute for me - I'm a dreadfully nervous driver, hate motorway driving with a passion. I did a year commuting across the Tyne Bridge (home in rush hour traffic) and it almost broke me... in contrast another place I worked had an hour's commute along winding country roads, going over the brow of a hill to the most amazing view on the planet and it was actually an incredibly uplifiting experience on a morning, and wonderful wind-down with stupidly loud music on the way home on an evening.
    I get stressed for days in advance if I know I have to go along the M1 though - motorway driving terrifies me.

15. Genuinely, I have been so very grateful for the posts and it is important to say thanks after all you have all taken time out of your day to help me! So thanks again[​IMG]

16. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Fantastic! Congratulations to you and very well done. I'm glad you went for it. I would personally do the journey quite happily for a nice school and even reasonably happily for a poor one. I don't mind driving and as a mum of four I quite like the switch off time a decent drive gives me. My worst job ever (in a dreadful school) was 2 miles from home. I could drive it in 5 mins and arrived home still swearing and stressed about what Bottom Set Yr 10 had done last lesson, etc. Given a bit of distance to drive I can spend the first half of the journey mentally winding down from day and thinking about what I need to do for tomorrow before spending the last half trying to remember where all my kids need picking up from and what the heck I'm going to cook for tea. (Plus, as a bonus, if it's a lousy school you are far enough away that you don't spend all weekend bumping into the little sods every time you nip out to the shops, etc)