1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far would you travel?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by geffone, Feb 10, 2011.

1. 120 miles total - is 60 miles each way.
    Or 240 miles a day, if that is what you mean
    A lot of mileage, A lot of stress on the motor. If the car has a prang then what is plan B
    Plan B, maybe if using a car then after awhile a buddy system with a fellow teacher in the same area.
    If not cars then is it bus or train?.
    Smart supply teachers analyse the pros and cons, have transport plan B and C
    Nothing to be shocked about,

2. I currently travel 160 miles (round trip) every day. Having said that it is now a contract and will get paid over summer. Last year I travelled 240 miles round trip but then stayed in a guest house when it all got too much. This was a year long assignment.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Round trip or relocation?
    I have travelleda 60 mile round trip on occasions, but as this is along rural routes and takes over an hour each way, it's not really practical to travel further afield. Does depend on routes, congestion etc- sometimes even 20 miles, with heavy traffic, in built up areas takes that amount of time.
    At present I do a 20 mile journey & leave home by 7.30- if I left it any later my journey time would increase & I wouldn't make it to school in time for morning briefing at 8. 10.
    So it may not be just the length of jouney but the time it takes! 120 miles, with a direct train link, might actually be faster than some of my journeys!

4. Yep I was assuming without short term re-location.
    I re located and did digs for a good three term booking. which is different.
    Madenglishgirl cut to the chase, Refine the question without faffing about being 'shocked'

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A cover manager recently told me she's been getting phone queries about potential supply vacancies in her school from agencies based nearly 200 miles away.

6. I would take cover manager stories and their relationship with agencies with a pinch of salt. A phone call is just a phone call.

7. Madenglishgirl - I am a bit worried about this 'shocked', thing, where you shocked when the potential supply said something about where the potential supply lived.
    Ie were you shocked when the supply was in your presence.
    or where you shocked after the supply had left.
    Some questions - who is calling the shots at who decides who interviews or sounds out the supply, Your job is perhaps to be asked if you think you will you get on with them if you have significant contact.
    Otherwise it is the job of HR or SMT to make these decisions. And find out if they want to live in digs, or go to travel plan B or C

8. Or to put it bluntly madenglishgirl, Posting generalisations such as 'we are shocked',
    without saying Who is shocked?,
    Bit of a no brainer, My first view is that you are talking tittle tattle.
    So enrich us all!

9. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Geffone - I think you are looking too much into this! I was shocked because of the 240 mile a day travel and said as much to them saying 'Omg! I can't believe you travel that far!!' I think I will have "significant contact" with them as I am (temporarily) setting the work for one of the subjects they are teaching.

10. madenglishgirl

'We' being the other members of staff who were in the staffroom

11. Madenglishgirl- I rest my case, staff room tittle tattle, no place on here.

12. LOL was the supply teacher present when you were having your 'staffroom discussion', I am trying to 'rest my case', however madenglishgirl you are a hoot.
    A good staffroom would back off where recruitment is concerned.
    Good reason to leave all this to HR or Smt do you not think?

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..and I reminded her that a phone call to me would have me there in less than 30 minutes ;-)

14. madenglishgirl

Yup, they were, actually!

15. I would have hated as a vulnerable supply looking for work sitting in some staffroom hearing that.
    You said it in earshot of other staff members.
    Way out of order.
    sorry, you started thiis thread It is fair and reasonable that I put it in context and environment do you not think?
    OMG I hope I do not sit in your school looking for work

16. madenglishgirl

I was relaying a conversation that I had WITH the supply...I was not tittle tattling behind their back!

17. I give up, the supply told you something then you waffled in the staff room?
    The supply was in the staffroom and you had a group discussion with the supply?
    Anyway what was your view of the supply?
    Forgetting about of being shocked about OMG the distance?
    Supply Ok or not OK from your view
    Suppluy OK or not OK from observations of other members of staff?

18. madenglishgirl

I have no idea what the general consensus was about the supply as believe it or not, we don't sit around discussing the particulars of supply teachers. From what I saw I thought they were great and I hope they stay [​IMG]

19. Anyway madenglishgirl. I hope you relayed some positives of the supply. If they had any. And of course the supply has been observed by other members of staff, however if you only went on about the distance. . . . .
    Otther staff members may pick up on this. Which is highly prejudicial to the recruitment proces.
    Perhaps if you are so interested in the distances a temp staff may travel, it would be appropriate to ask AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN RECRUITED
    Sounds fair do you not think?

20. Sounds good madenglishgirl, I hope you told that to the school, or whoever you talk to in the staffroom.
    As a supply teacher I would appreciate such a comment when sittinig in the staffroom.