1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far would you have to go to escape gravity? I TED-Ed

Discussion in 'Science' started by AndrewvanZyl, Nov 9, 2018.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Published on Nov 6, 2018
    Every star, black hole, human being, smartphone and atom are all constantly pulling on each other due to one force: gravity. So why don’t we feel pulled in billions of different directions? And is there anywhere in the universe where we'd be free of its pull? Rene Laufer details the inescapability of gravity.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So the answer is you cannot escape gravity anywhere. And this is news?

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Not news, but this primary teacher and governors would certainly benefit from watching it.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

6. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Dear All
    I am aware that this TED-Ed video is not "new" information for scientists :) I try to post clips which I think explain scientific concepts in fresh or useful ways. Hope this helps!

gainly and sparkleghirl like this.
  7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure why anyone would object to your posts, after all they don't have to look at them.

However you are preaching to the converted, most people who look at this forum would know the information in the videos. The problem is how to get them to where they are needed, like the primary teacher who thought there was no gravity on the moon.

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Absolutely. Keep them coming. Sorry I don't have time to respond more often but I'm sure that I'm not the only one who occasionally finds time to watch and appreciate them - and perhaps use them with a class - but doesn't remember to or doesn't have time to post back.

I think the benefit is that Andrew makes time to browse and find these videos which I just can't spend time doing. They're often useful with kids even when it's something that the teacher already knows - how many times have you had a ks3 science class dispute something you say because youtube (or their primary teacher!) told them differently?