1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far would you drive each day?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by NZdreamer, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Just curious how far any of you would drive each day for work?
    I am starting to panic about finding a new job before my current post finishes and am looking at an hour and a half drive maximum at the moment. That is my maximum as any further and the fuel costs will leave me with literally nothing left at the end of the month!

NZ

2. Hi all,
    Just curious how far any of you would drive each day for work?
    I am starting to panic about finding a new job before my current post finishes and am looking at an hour and a half drive maximum at the moment. That is my maximum as any further and the fuel costs will leave me with literally nothing left at the end of the month!

NZ

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Time, for me is more a factor than distance certainly. After all you may take 1 hr to drive 10-15 miles in heavy rush-hour traffic or small rural roads.
    Personally my cut-off point is generally an hour, as, in all but one direction, all roads lead to one central point & if I can't get there before 8 am, it's pretty hopeless & will take much longer.
    Last year I spent a quarter of my year's earnings on petrol (I keep a note of mileage, cost etc), so I'm definitely looking at the distance I travel & time it takes me to get there, in relation to petrol consumption this next year, as the cost of petrol has risen so much & will possibly rise more.
    I did do an hour's journey each way for two term's last year for a regular afternoon's work, but it was time-consuming.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Last year I travelled for an hour and a half to work. It was manageable but very tiring over the course of the term, as I had to get up at 5:45 to make sure I was at school on time, and by the time I got home in an evening I only had a few hours left before I needed to be thinking about bed! I would do it again if I had to but I'd certainly prefer somewhere closer. And I wouldn't drive that far each day - I find I can't relax behind the wheel, whereas when I was travelling (on public transport) I could at least read a book and use the time as a bit of a break before/after work.