1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far would you be prepared to commute?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I had to go to London today to attend some silly conference. Up at the crack of dawn and I've not long been home. Two and a half hours each way on the train and tube, plus all the sodding about getting to and from the station, getting change to park the car.

There were plenty of people who got on the train with me who looked like they do it every day. I used to commute when I was younger, but the journey was about an hour. Even that was too much in the end and I was glad when I stopped doing it.

It was interesting to travel among commuters to see how they relieve the tedium these days. Virtually everyone was using some sort of electronic device. Either a laptop or a phone. None of those around me read a book or a newspaper, unless they were doing it on their devices.

Commuting is such a waste of a life.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I think it depends on circumstances. When I worked in London my commute was upwards of 2 hours each way-but that was because I chose to live in a large house further out from London than many commuters rather than a small ridiculously expensive but convenient flat. Now however I grumble when my drive to work takes over the planned 22 minutes!

3. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

3 min drive to work but with an added 5 mins to drop my son off. Sometimes there's a bit of a queue at the roundabout and the lights might be on red. I hate those times.

yodaami2 and burajda like this.
  4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

peter12171 and LondonCanary like this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The worst commute I had was two hours by train and bus each way. Awful.

I walk everywhere now. Or get the bus if it's too far. Boycotting Scotrail right now.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

90 minutes is our limit for a one-off job starting in the morning. Any more than that and we charge for an overnight stay near the venue. More usually it's about an hour from home to customer. Distance varies greatly, depending on how much of Manchester or the M6 is involved in the journey.

When I was teaching I walked to school most days, about 20 minutes.

7. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Mr PC has always said an hour maximum before it becomes too much and I think I agree. I've done an hour (bus and tube) into central London. I've had a 25 minute walk (probably the best) and now I'm back to the tube and bus but 30 minutes or so in the morning which rises a bit in the evening.

I'm extremely grateful for my height which keeps my face above armpit level when commuters are all straphanging in rush hour. Especially in hot weather.

8. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Commuting is a waste of time, money and fuel that could all be reduced if businesses relocated to be closer to more affordable residential areas. Government could give incentives for this, people might even walk to work, lateness would be reduced and people should be more productive, even willing to do overtime. Better for people, the environment and business. I do not know why business insists on old fashioned face-to-face meetings when state-of-the-art videoconferencing would be far cheaper and provides a record of actual proceedings.

sodalime and coffeekid like this.
  9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm on about an hour each way, if trains run to time, which is typically once a week. But it's a job, I can work from home sometimes and work flexi hours, although this also means Saturdays and evenings,
    I've never driven so the chances if me getting work less than half an hour away would be remote. But I'll definitely be glad to retire, as the travelling is tiring now.

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

45 minutes each way by car. It was along A roads and pretty uneventful. That was a long lime ago and the roads are now much busier. I moved to a house just around the corner from school and when I got home the first day, I didn't know what to do with myself as I had gained so much time.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

In Scotland I used to do about 14 miles each way. For the first ten miles I rarely met a car until I got to the main road from Leuchars to St Androids. last job about 22 miles each way including about 11 of motorway, which used to be ok, until about the last three or four years when traffic wombles would shut down major routes with no diversions simply because some DH had bent their car round a truck with no consideration for us. Or in one instance some silly person was hanging off a bridge threatening to jump.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My worst commute was about twenty miles. Perfectly doable, you’d think, in about half to three quarters of an hour. But it was on the M3, M25 and a little bit of the M40.

Hours and hours sometimes. I used to sit in traffic and watch the planes landing at Heathrow. I think four hours was the longest journey time.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Aside from the commute, the thing I found interesting about my trip to London today is how much it's changed since I worked there. I knew central London like the back of my hand thirty years ago. It's barely recognisable now. I bet London taxi drivers have to have refresher courses on the Knowledge every six months.

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

The question is not so much how far would you commute but how long. Commuting by train with a seat is a whole lot more pleasant then driving.

mothorchid likes this.
  15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

My longest commute was about fifteen miles into Central London. The tube was too unpredictable: sometimes the journey would take three quarters of an hour, and more than twice that at other times. I resorted to covering the distance on a motor bike (I was much, much younger then), which was quicker and cheaper, although dicing with large lorries in the gloom of the winter months gave frequent adrenaline rushes.

neddyfonk likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

The furthest I have known anyone commute daily is 150 miles each way. I tried it for one day, too much.

17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

If you are reading, not necessarily. Also some people would argue that if they're watching TV/updating their social media, maybe even posting on here! then it's just something they'd be doing anyway. Plus if you can get some of your 'paperwork' done when travelling, then it might mean you can actually relax and not continue working when you get home.
    Driving a long way to work really seems like a waste of time, though. At one point I was driving to a school well over an hour from my house. I remember once getting home and feeling guilty about leaving my child and the fact that a lot of my wages had gone on childcare/petrol (mainly tax), so I didn't even have much left after the bills were paid.
    I suppose if you travel with a friend/partner then it might be an enjoyable part of your day thogh.

18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

What about teaching older pupils like this too? Instead of 7 hours a day at school in classes of 40 odd, we could provide two hours or so of video lessons for very small groups, as some private tutors do. I'm sure that parents would be delighted to have this...

19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

They all use SatNavs.

20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

In my last job I commuted 12 miles each way which frequently took more than an hour in the morning except during the school holidays. If I had to go to head office it was over 80 miles each way up the A1.

I'm glad i work from home now.