1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far would you be prepared to commute for your dream job?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jarlath1978, May 20, 2011.

1. Hi
    Have just been for shortlisted for my dream job. However, there is a snag. It is over an hour commute by either car or train.

Although I am thrilled to be even asked to interview, I can't escape the feeling that it might just be that little bit too far away.

Any views/advice would be greatly appreciated,

Jarlath

2. Would it be possible to relocate?
    Personally, I find my 15 minute drive bad enough and incredibly stressful when things go wrong on the motorway (nearly every day) and it takes over an hour to get to or from school.

3. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

I'm currently doing a 90-120 min commute. This time of year isn't too bad but in the dark winter mornings / evening, you'll probably regret it.

4. Crikey! I don't know whether to applaud you or declare you mad! That is so much time wasted that could be spent doing work or time for yourself.

5. karentee

karentee New commenter

Mine's 30 minutes, 45 on a bad day and it's lovely on a summers day as it's all country roads but in the winter when it's dark, rainy or foggy it is hell. I don't think any job is that much of a dream to travel an hour or more

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Mine is a ten-minute drive, twenty if I'm on the bicycle. I love having a shorter commute, I'd find it hard if I got a different job and it was any longer!

7. DON'T DO IT!!
    I have my dream job and I have a 60-80 minute drive! That's on roads where (unless I got stuck behind a tractor) I can drive at 60pmh for about 70% of the journey.
    It's <u>so so</u> tiring after a busy day! I've been known to pull into a pub car park to have 10 minute power nap. In winter it is truely horrific.
    Think about the time it adds to your day too. I like to arrive at school four about 7:45 which means I need to set off at about 6:45 the end result....a 5:45 alarm and being in bed before 9:00 most nights. I feel tired the day after if I stay up to watch The Apprentice.
    It costs me over &pound;200 in petrol too!

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I used to travel an hour to a job that definately wasnt my dream job, the journey just added to the stress of a horrible job. However if you are travelling by train as I did sometimes, that is quite relaxing assuming you are on a relatively uncrowded train, you can do work or relax with a book. I left to have my family after 5 years, but in all honesty couldnt have gone on full time much longer. I think the horrible school had more to do with that than the journey, but it does take it out of you. The main probs were with late night meetings or parents evenings etc when I used to get back after 9.00/9.30.
    I now travel for 40 mins on quiet country roads to a lovely school and job and it is a nice journey and quite relaxing. I plan alot in my head or just listen to the radio.
    It really depends on the type of roads/ trains you are going to travel on quiet roads are different to sitting in traffic nose to nose. Do consider petrol costs because they are crippling me at the moment.
    I would go for it you can always move or change jobs in a couple of years if it doesnt work out. Good luck

9. I can't belive I just typed 'I like to arrive at school four about 7:45' - <u>SEE</u> look what the long commute has done to me!! [​IMG]

10. ooh the petrol thing is an important point! It's crippling enough with my short journey spending &pound;120 a month on petrol with it constantly rising.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I was driving 1000 miles a week from home to school for just over a year and was very releaved when it stopped.

12. marymoocow

I'm intrigued Msz. Why so far?

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

My OH was working /living in Northumberland and I didn't want to look for a job there.

14. I travel 120 miles each day for work and it is managable. I don't have children (which makes it easier) and I split the petrol cost with my OH. However you will be tired in the evenings, I go to bed around 9.30 every night. And winter is pretty miserable too!

15. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I wouldn't want to do it myself, but everyone is different.

I take 9 minutes to get to work and 7 to get home. That is long enough for me. I already feel like I have barely any time in the evenings.

16. marymoocow

It was my OH too that caused me to do my long distance job, not quite sure I could have done as far as you mind Msz!