1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far will you travel to work?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by year1109, Jul 22, 2019.

1. year1109

year1109 New commenter

I have recently been working in a wonderful school for the past 5 weeks, on supply in the same class. I would love to work there. The journey there isn't a difficult one with heaps of traffic, but a long one. It takes me just under an hour everyday to get there. I don't know if this is average to most people but my previous schools were 4 minutes away from my home and 15 minutes away. I am an NQT and the distance is what is making me think about it not being a great idea if a vacancy ever appeared, especially if I have to stay late which is inevitable. I would appreciate your opinion!

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Depends on how many schools you would rate as 'wonderful' are closer to your home...In my experience (secondary) 60 mins each way is not unusual as a commute.

catmother likes this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

In my last job my journey was about 40 mins each way and I did it for 14 years. It was right on the limit of what I thought was acceptable, the first about 10 years it was worth it, the last 4 years it wasn't as things had changed too much in teaching, then I got out all together.

I have known many teachers who commuted for an hour, usually because the job meant a promotion and they didn't want to uproot their family.

It depends on your personal circumstances and how you think they may evolve over the next few years, especially as are an NQT, and as FW says, how many other schools that are closer you could work at. Personally I think an hour is too long but many don't.

4. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

6500 miles give or take a few hundred is current record for me.
    Not a daily commute. Live on site.

But lots of folks work outside the UK.

5. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

I currently commute 45 minutes each way, it’s an unpleasant drive through the city centre and I rarely get above third gear. I might be willing to travel for longer if the drive included some pleasant scenery

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'd think it was on the long side, but if it's so lovely there... you could always move?

catmother likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The average commuting time into London is 74 minutes, followed by the South East and East of England, both at 56 minutes. That's for all jobs - not just teaching - and for all modes of transport (but probably weighted toward public transport in the case of London):

https://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5300

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I've never travelled less than an hour in the UK so to me it's normal. But I don't drive so I can use the travel time as downwinding time, if trains are running ok.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I used to commute 84 miles a day (there and back) - most of it was on country roads and it used to take me just over an hour each way.

I wouldn't do that now though.

10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

You also need to factor in how different that same drive will be in the winter - when I had a 13 mile journey to one school (mix of rural and urban roads) it always seemed longer in winter. Dark mornings and evenings didn't help, either.

11. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

My journey is weird. 35 minutes there and an hour minimum back.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Much like mine sometimes. I travel at 6 am to avoid the traffic so door-to-door it takes me just over 30 minutes to get to school. On the way back if I am delayed it can easily take twice that to get home again.

1 person likes this.
  13. Over_the_hill

Peakster I leave at 6am too to avoid the traffic. You are my commute twin!

14. Over_the_hill

I leave school at 4 or 6.30. Absolutely no point leaving at 5!

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I try and get out before 3.30 if I can, I usually pick my wife up from work about 4.15 and then we battle the traffic home.

I've been travelling at 6 am for so many years I really can't remember when I started doing it. It means I have a clear two hours to work before school starts.

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

One thing to bear in mind OP is if you work there permanently, you will have to attend staff meetings and probably run clubs - meaning you then have the hour's drive on top of that and it won't be long before you feel as soon as you get home and eat a bit, it is time for bed.

Remember, no-one is ever going to thank you for doing this so my advice would be if you can get a job closer, go for it.

sodalime likes this.
  17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Depends on the workplace. I used to live a 20minute walk from work.
    That was no more, then resurrected one day a week and has now finished again.
    Hour and 20 minutes drive/ cycle for my people centred workplace. I wouldn't travel that long for every job!

18. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

People leaving at 6am to get to work at 6.30am must be mad. School doesn't start till 8.45.Why can't you get in for 8.30 like every one else? As for leaving at 6.30pm, that's too long a day for me. When I was a teacher I always left ASAP after the kids left. I wouldn't dream of getting to work 2 hours before or leaving 2 hours after. 7.30am is the absolute earliest I've been in for a school that started at 8.10. Madness

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I suspect the powers that be would love to know how far teachers are prepared to travel for work when zero hours contracts become part of education, as they appear to be blighting every other area of the service industry.

Make it impossible for experienced teachers to remain in post, replace them with supply teachers and it's only a matter of time before you end up with the entire teaching profession being given zero hours contracts.

You know it makes sense, because every little...

20. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Most teachers I know these days need to be there before 8 (sometimes for meetings, sometimes just to get organised and move/set up stuff).
    I would do that commute if I were a young teacher, with no other responsibilities. Doing an hour commute if/when you have kids means you are paying tax on fuel to get to work, paying childcare and tax on childcare to get to work, and er, pay more tax, and might prevent you spending the time you want to spend with your child and (possibly) ailing relatives.
    No doubt some would say we are too reliant on cars, and we pollute by driving so much. The problem is, for many of us, including teachers, it's hard to see any alternative-how many schools, nearer to you, that you would like to work in, actually have vacancies?

smoothnewt likes this.