1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far past a use by date do you go?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 25, 2018.

?

How far?

1. One day before the use by

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. On the use by

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. One-two days past it

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Upto ten days

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. I live for the danger

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. I use to ignore the date, then I got sick, real sick.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Presently eating coleslaw that says it should have been eaten by 15th Nov.

How far do you go?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My response would depend on the food stuff. With eggs or milk not long. Creme fraiche and yogurt can last ages past the date but I would taste test.

I ignore the date altogether on preservatives like sugar, salt or vinegar.

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

It depends on whether the contents have gone fizzy, or smell alcoholic when they shouldn't, or have gone green and furry all the way through.
    Fizzy coleslaw is not a good idea, nor is a green furry lemon. In general, anything trying to climb out of the container goes straight onto the compost heap, and I tend to give any meat that has developed a metallic sheen on the surface a swerve too.
    I also use my sense of smell - if it doesn't smell right it probaby isn't. (Which means I don't eat a lot of stinky soft cheese...)

4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

All of this, plus beef has to pass the sniff test, chicken and seafood I won't risk past the use-by date at all.

needabreak, agathamorse and jomaimai like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I did taste test the coleslaw...

I feel OK... I did eat two granola slices from M&S... so good... so sweet... evil evil food.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh for sure... if it's playing host to an secondary lifeforms... bang, in the bin.

Coleslaw was lacking in fizz....

Ooooh Proseccoslaw!

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When we buy those chicken plastic packs... sometimes there is a yellowish liquid at the bottom after a few days... never sure about that stuff.

Bought frozen diced beef this week... better value and we got more in the pack.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

When we moved into our house, we found some still airtight Kilner jars of homemade preserves in the little coalhole cellar. The pickles we gave a miss, as they resembled so many disgusting specimens in a pathological museum but the jars of strawberry and, I think, blackberry jam were in perfect condition, and the best I have ever tasted. I don't know how old they were as they were not labelled but the screw tops looked quite old fashioned.

We also found a small tin of ground coffee. I can't remember what make it was but the label looked a bit Thirties or Forties to me, so goodness knows how old it was. When we popped off the lid, we found that the foil liner was still intact and unopened. Finding myself alone in the house one day, curiosity got the better of me and I punctured the liner. A wonderfully rich coffee smell wafted up at me. The coffee inside was a dark brown colour and, as I turned it over with a spoon, seemed perfectly alright. I percolated some and it smelt delicious, just like Lyons 'Continental' coffee used to smell. It tasted like French coffee, with a rich and slightly bitter flavour. When my wife got home, she commented on the 'lovely coffee aroma' permeating the house. When I told her what it was, she declined to try it, though.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

needabreak and agathamorse like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Coleslaw should have a 'Use by' date of 31st August.

We are now eating winter food.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

*hides the strawberries*

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As someone who recently reached state pension age, my use by date is technically past, however I still feel I have a worth and can offer something that less experienced youngsters don't possess.

I shall be cooking a pork loin that I picked up at a bargain price on Friday from the reduced counter for today's dinner. I've just taken it out of the fridge and notice that the use by date is today, but the time of day isn't specified. Should I panic if I find out its use by time expired at breakfast time?

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

If it’s use by then I generally won’t go beyond the date. If it’s best before then I am much happier to go beyond the date?

needabreak and agathamorse like this.
  14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I've not opened my marmite jar yet. It was out of date over a year ago.
    But I will eat it and it will be delicious.

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Depends what it is. Cream in a cake that's out of date will not taste nice but won't kill you. Offal, fish and meat that's been chopped or minced I don't use more than 2 days after the date. Yogurt can go weeks and I'll still eat it.

16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

lanokia likes this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Depends. The human nose is a pretty good detector of freshness. Unopened bacon can be a week or more over. I don't think I'd go beyond a day with chicken, and that would depend on the nose and "does it feel slimy" test. Beef and Pork, nose and colour, couple or three days may be ok. Tinned goods provided not heavily dented, ignore, the whole idea of tinned goods is that they last forever. Same with preserves in jars with the "boink" lid (there is a clue in the word "preserve")

Lalad likes this.
  18. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Humans were eating things long before use by dates were invented.
    I just go by the look, smell and feel - I've eaten prawns that were a couple of days after the use by date and been fine, but I've also thrown out a chicken that had two days left before the use by date but looked and smelled vile.
    When it gets to the freezer, I've used food that has been in there for several years with no ill effects.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Have had a box of diet coke in the kitchen which were best before Aug 2016. Gave the last couple of cans to blazer minor last week and he reckoned it tasted funny so we allowed him to throw it away.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You still healthy?