1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far is too far to travel for work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, May 18, 2020.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

Hi, applying for jobs but wondering what you lot count as 'too far'
    I'm thinking anything up to an hour?

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I used to have a 10 mile radius - roughly a maximum of 30m travelling time. For some schools I extended the radius but that was because they were easy to get to.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Sounds reasonable but the thing I find with teaching is once staff meetings and planning meetings are added to the equation, by Wednesday the thought of another hour in the car is soul destroying.

Having said that, if the journey home is on nice roads and not a stop start commute, it can also then be a nice time to unwind.

So there you go, I started saying it was too much then said it would be fine. :p

(But seriously, get to check out the route - will the roads you use be cleared/have lighting during winter?)

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Although the cost of petrol has come down in price, you have to consider that expense as well.

Do you really want to travel over 30 minutes each way after a long day's teaching? In the summer it is o.k. but in the winter in bad weather it is not pleasant.

I would not go past 30 minutes each way.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I would also go along with 30 minutes as a maximum commute. It is amazing how different the same journey can be in the cold and dark winter months compared to the summer.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  6. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

Thank you everyone! The closest jobs around me so far seem to be around 1 hour 5 minutes away,
    I might just stay put and see if closer schools come up, especially since i'm still on my NQT year after a year of supply so would be exhausted if travelling was way over another hour,

And if not, looks like another year of supply!

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Wise decision supplygirl111. Best to wait until you find something closer to home.

8. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My journey to school in the morning is 20 minutes, but in the evening I almost always hit the rush hour traffic, which doubles the journey time home. So you need to bear traffic in mind when you're planning what is 'too far'.

One year I travelled 1 hour 15 minutes to school, which (in my opinion) was too far - especially at the end of a long day.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My current journey to school is 15 miles but it is mostly along very busy roads. I get up early to avoid the traffic and it takes me about 25-30 minutes to get to work. That is manageable.

I had to leave one school even though I was really happy there because it was 42 miles away and it took well over an hour to get there. It was too far - after a long day I was too tired after I got home to do anything.

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As others have said, it is not only the distance you have to commute but also the nature of the journey. An hour of stop start, bumper crawling will not set you up for the day, and the same on the way home will leave you exhausted. Similarly, strap-hanging on public transport, especially if you are fretting about making connections, is very stressful.

To give yourself an idea, imagine the journey 'in the deep midwinter', after a long, drawn out parents' evening.

11. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

Testing out the journey at the moment probably won't reflect what it would be like in 'normal' traffic conditions, never mind in the middle of winter etc. It's also useful to get an idea of how many after (or before) school meetings you'd need to attend. If you can get away at 4pm each day, even if you then pick up again in the evening, that's quite different from leaving after 5pm.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

When I was doing my 40 mile commute it wasn't actually too bad as there were a number of roads I could take home.

But it slowly wore me down and after three years of it I had had enough.

The department I left - I've never been in a better one since.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I really decided to move on after I fell asleep at the wheel on the way home one hot Summer's day. I can remember coming off the motorway but when I came to properly I found myself driving down a road completely across town from where I lived - and 20 minutes had passed after I came off the motorway.

I left the following year.

14. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Before the shutdown, I was going to schools in the same area and this involved a round trip of around 60 miles per day and depending on the time of the journey, it could be an 90 minutes each way. So I can understand why some people refuse to go to far for work, because it is tiring and costly.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Driving around Manchester is hell

16. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

You are telling me, I live closer to Huddersfield, then I do to the centre of Manchester, thankfully I live in Gods county of Lancashire (I never refer to Greater Manchester, if I can help it) and not Yorkshire, but I seem to spend most of my time in South Manchester or the old country of Cheshire. So I have to use the M62 and M60 most days.

BertieBassett2 and pepper5 like this.
  17. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  18. eviecat100

eviecat100 New commenter

Hi! I set a max of an hour but will only do that occasionally. The agency will hopefully try to find you schools as near as possible but knowing you are flexible at times can be a bonus.

pepper5 likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

I would say no more than half an hour.

So that works out as an hour a day travelling ; 5 hours a week. Petrol costs, travel delays, leaving time , family time and more are all seriously affected if you travel any further imho.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@peakster: That is frightening! I have had something similar happen to me, on a motorbike. If my brain just went onto autopilot, and the journey did not register with me, I do not know, but it was unnerving to suddenly become aware again, to find myself nearing home with no recollection of the journey.

@historygrump; Three hours a day commuting. I should that would grind anyone down.