1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far do you walk every day?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And do you take the stairs or the lift or escalator? I was wondering about this when I was on my way to Cambridge yesterday and must have walked a couple of miles in the passageways of Clapham Junction, Kings X and Vauxhall stations.

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Well, I walk my daughter to school and back every weekday - 10 minutes x 4. So 40 minutes brisk walking each day.
    I need to do more aerobic exercise. Jogging didn't work out for me. Did it for a while, hated it.

Lascarina likes this.
  3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I agree. Jogging is a jiggly and unnatural thing to do.

racroesus, Lascarina and coffeekid like this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have just come back from a few days in London. On Thursday we walked over 7 miles and on Friday we must have walked at least 5. We walked around Borough Market and it felt like very long way from the concourse at King's Cross to the Metropolitan line platform! This was despite trying to walk less because my knee is still recovering.

I never track distance usually but I have been doing less at home now my old dog can't really manage more than 2 miles.

Lascarina likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I've realised that no matter how much space I leave after a full-stop (memory tells me it's supposed to be a double space) , the new word is always crammed into the last full-stop.
    That's my day off to a bad start already. ;-)

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Aw, @bombaysapphire , same here with our beast. He's dead old now. I check him every morning to see if he's still with us.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

We walk everywhere but I think we are really lucky to be quite rural but within easy walking distance of shops and libraries. By and large we can leave the car in the garage on a day to day basis and just use for specific journeys. I reckon we do @ 3 - 5 miles a day. It's become a routine but one for which I am grateful. I used to run but stopped about 5 years ago.

Lascarina likes this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I can't believe how people take a bus for one or two stops or use their car to drive to the newsagent's round the corner.

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Much less than I used to - but hopefully once my knees are sorted out I'll be back to walking regularly again. :)

We used to do a daily evening stroll of about 3 miles. I would always choose to walk into town and to local places. Perhaps I will again soon ... ...

Lascarina likes this.
  10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm sure you will. I could hardly walk at all before I had my knee replaced but now I do at least 3 miles a day and more in the summer and I always walk up and downstairs when I'm out and do the stairs at home innumerable times every day.

marlin and coffeekid like this.
  11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Normally we walk a minimum of three miles a day, up to seven/eight miles three times a week. Unfortunately, I've got knee ligament troubles at the moment, so three miles has become the goal.

I agree with Lascarina that people are often lazy with their cars. Living in central London, a car is out of the question for us.

Lascarina likes this.
  12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I like to walk and regularly walk into town - about 15mins, unless I've got a lot of shopping to carry home. I often (once a fortnight maybe) do a 5 mile walk with one of the groups I belong to and something similar on a Sunday morning. We used to wonder how far we walked down school corridors but never measured it and I certainly sit down much more than ever I did when i was working. I dread having a problem with my feet because enjoying a walk is such a basic pleasure. It was pain in my feet that lead me to lose 2 stone many years ago.

Lascarina likes this.
  13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I don't use lifts because I have a phobia, having twice been stuck in one- once at seven months pregnant, with a toddler and a trolley full of shopping. Can't go to Covent Garden!

I walked around Unravel for four hours yesterday, but don't suppose that counts. Usually aim for a minimum half hour walk every day, unless the weather is really vile and quite often I'll go down to the prom and walk into the town and back.

Lascarina likes this.
  14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What is Unravel? I'd worry about walking round somewhere with a name like that in case I did unravel.:(

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I walk for half an hour to an hour with my Dad's dog every day. if I go to the library it's a 15min walk each way but the town centre is a bit too far though still possible if I have time. I always use the stairs.

Lascarina likes this.
  16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I wear a pedometer and aim for a minimum of 7000 steps per day. Ideally I'll hit 10,000, and even better if I can get to 12,000. I managed 12,500 on Monday and Tuesday this week, and 10,000 yesterday. At work I can usually hit 7,000 by the time I get home in the evening.

I agree about the downsides to jogging: been there, done that - and am now at the age where I need to put the interests of my knees first.

I did intend to start a swimming regime; I hit the pool with gusto four weeks ago, only to go down with the mother of all throat infections three days later. I'm now into week four of being under the weather, and frankly it has put me off going back, as I suspect I picked up something nasty in the pool.

Lascarina likes this.
  17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Hope you feel better soon. Pools are the very devil for picking up other people's germs.

smoothnewt likes this.
  18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It is a wool and yarn show at Farnham Maltings @Lascarina. I've never been to Farnham Maltings before and realised how remiss I've been. There are loads of different craft workshops and things going on and some very pleasant cake!

My friend lives in Surrey and I on the south coast, so we sort of met in the middle(ish.).
    We've often been to Ally Pally and Olympia for craft shows, but this was a whole different experience. They go for a much posher style of yarn in Farnham. My friend is a ferocious and committed knitter and crocheter and spent a fortune. I bought some ceramic buttons, a book of patterns for cushion covers and four balls of Adrafil. I'll be going back to the Maltings!

Lascarina likes this.
  19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Thank you, Lascarina: this is the worst virus I've picked up. I'm down to the lingering phlegmy cough and tedious nose-blowing now (sorry: TMI).

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That sounds like a place to visit, foxtail. I'm writing it down on my list.:)