1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far do you travel to work?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by veni_vidi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hello everyone, I have one, possible two interviews next week. One i will move for, but still have a 35 mins drive, the other i may not move but would have an hours drive. Both aer maternity covers so would only be two terms.
    Is this too much for the NQT year? Would you do this for a first post you've struggled to get?
    (This is all supposing i pass my test and get a car in Dec too-nightmare). [​IMG]

2. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hello everyone, I have one, possible two interviews next week. One i will move for, but still have a 35 mins drive, the other i may not move but would have an hours drive. Both aer maternity covers so would only be two terms.
    Is this too much for the NQT year? Would you do this for a first post you've struggled to get?
    (This is all supposing i pass my test and get a car in Dec too-nightmare). [​IMG]

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I travelled 48 miles to the school where I did my last Induction term. It also happened to have been one of my teac hing practice schools.
    I was lucky in that I was replacing the second in Dept for a term and kept her slightly reduced timetable, plus getting the 10% NQT time. She'd also recently had a PGCE student placed with her and the student carried on with the arranged timetable (with another teacher doing the formal observations only). It meant that I had an 11 week summer term of no more than 17 lessons per week!
    I found that getting to the school early was key to managing the travel. The journey was less fraught if I left home around 7 am and I was able to get set up for the day before staff briefing, as well as doing photocopying for later in the week.
    I tended to stay on for about 30 or 40 minutes after the last lesson (longer when there were meetings/twilight INSET).
    The worst days were the Parents' Evening sessions as I'd have an hour's drive home after the session finished at 9.30 and would be back at school in no time the next morning! I did use the trapped time between the end of school and parents arriving to get yet more planning or marking done, so it would be straight to bed when I eventually got home.
    If On days when I was really tired on the way home, I'd pull off the motorway and have a sleep in a layby or services car park!

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I've just got my job as an NQT for January :) It's 27 miles, along a motorway, from me. It takes 35-50mins depending on traffic. That is for me the upper end of what I was willing to travel. I traveled 40 miles each way which took 1hr+ to my uni for PGCE and I would not have wanted to do that for placement for a job, it was too much.
    If you're new to driving, you may want to reduce the distance - you are likely to drive more slowly and when tired your driving will be worse (as would anyone's) which as a new driver is not advisable.
    I'd say 35 mins is fine, an hour perhaps less so. Be a bit careful about accepting a job which requires a car when you don't have one yet....what if you fail your test and can't retake before the beginning of term? You can't back out the job once accepted.
    Don't be put off by the fact it's a maternity - there are so few permanent jobs out there atm that you have to take what you can get.

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I currently travel 20 miles each way on a mat contract, it takes me 30-40 minutes.
    I have been looking within a 50 miles radius or about 1 hr max when I apply for jobs. Like someone else said, the job market is tough so you have to take what you can get.
    I think you get used to your commute to be honest and experience might help you get a job closer to home in the long run.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's worth checking out public transport links too. If my car broke down I could get to quite afew schools using the train as there's a station 1.5 miles from my home. I'd quite liek being able to use the time to make lesson notes or read exam specs etc, increasing leisure time in the evenings/weekends. Or I might nod off!

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you end up quite a distance away and don't want to re-locate your main address, consider asking in the staffroom if anyone would like a Mon night-Thursday night lodger. You'd travel from home to work on Monday and then go back home after work on Friday and the rent charged should balance out with the petrol saved ... and less depreciation on the car.
    Anyone taking in a lodger can earn up to £4250 per year tax free. they don't even have to declare the income to the taxman if it remains below that figure.

8. I started off my NQT year in September traveling 50 miles. I honestly lasted a couple of days before I really started to struggle. I found that driving in the morning was fine but after school getting back was a nightmare. Now I stay Monday to Thursday as a lodger at a teacher's house. I have to say it's so much better this way! Plus I don't have to pay that much rent and save so much on petrol.

9. I travel about 30 miles each way to school and back. However, I personally like the freedom of coming home, where there are no kids, no risk of bumping into any parents when your down the pub on a friday/saturday night! However I do have to get up at half 5 every morning and go to sleep at 10-half 10 every night.... which is a toughie!
    But I love my job and my school so its completely worth it :)

10. Hi,

I currently drive 50 miles each way to my school, It takes me an hour . You have to decide how much you want the job. There were not many Dance jobs around so I knew I would have to travel and I couldn't risk being unemployed. If you like the school then travelling is bearable but its still not easy, in bad weather it's not nice and it costs alot in petrol, but I'd rather travel than not work.

Good luck with the interviews!!

11. i live 30 miles from my school. I live in Surrey, while my school is in north west London. Mad you may think, but i savour the 1hr 30min commute everday for some time to myself. I refuse to drive because i cant be bothered tackling the M25 and dont fancy the 60 mile a day drive. Instead i choose to train/tube it. I've been doing it since the summer term and its not grating on me in the slightest.

12. I'm an NQT and working at a school about 45 minutes away. Getting to school in the morning was okay but coming home is a bit of a hassle. I was so exhausted a few weeks ago and actually wrote my car off in an accident after a long hard Monday at school! But I do like living away from the school and NQT jobs seem to be a bit like goldust. Just be careful!

13. I am on PGCE currently. My A-placement is 42 miles away and it takes me 40 mins up the M6. Uni is 20 miles away. For the job I did previously, I commuted 60 miles each way. You have to decide what you're willing to do. Teaching is a mobile career. Be wary of wearing yourself out! I vowed to myself never to drive more than 20 miles on a motorway for any job ever again - it made me stressed and angry to do all that commuting. It's only tolerable for A-placement because I know it will stop at the end of January.

14. I work at a school an hour away - just over 30 miles. It is a bit of a pain at times driving so far, when I'm tired, and I was concerned at first too because I had a crash in March and really lost my confidence, but the long drive has done loads in fixing that. It's a cross country journey for me, not motorway, and usually fairly stress free, though there are roadworks in one place at the moment which is holding me up badly, and there are not many places to get past lorries / idiots driving at half the speed limit. It's a maternity cover job, and I don't think I'd work that far away again if I could get round it. I'm not liking spending over £200 a month in petrol

15. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

This is the thing. I don't want to spend £200 a month in petrol....but at least I'll still get paid over £1100 (or however much NQT pay is) every month, as opposed to the £212 JSA is.

16. I moved from Liverpool to Kent, and now live 40 miles away from my school. I really depends on how much you want the job!
    I'm in a really good school, and loving it, so for me it is totally worth it! Though I can't imagine an hour (sometimes more) drive to and from if it wasn't the right place for me.
    I spend on average £350 a month on petrol, but as I'm paying minimal rent, it works out the same as living closer and having hardly any petrol to pay.
    At the end of the day, I figured it was better to be employed and have a drive than to not have a job! To be honest I don't mind the drive too much, as I'm normally chilled out and have sorted in my head what I need to do for the next day, by the time I get home!

17. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Thanks for replies everyone, and the tips! Well i got the first job, so i'll be moving and have a 30-35mins drive, and we did it on the interview day and it didn't seem too bad. It really will be worth it and i'm so happy i got the job. It doesn't start until mid Feb so plenty of time to get a car and practise driving it (now i just need to pass my test next week!) [​IMG]

18. I drove 50 miles either way (an hour, maybe an hour 10-an hour 30 depending upon city traffic) and LOVED it! I thought that the long drive was a great time to reflect on my day and mentally plan lessons, when I couldn't avoid it and had nothing else to do. I got through my NQT year without a single problem. It's only now, in my first post-induction year, that I've started breaking out the red bull in the evening.

19. LMAO [​IMG] Try not to get nervous, but... I had the same situation as you, thought "I've got MONTHS, I'll be fine", and passed my test on an emergency/last minute/cancellation appointment the day before I started my job. Good luck! 35 miutes isn't too far to get to without a car, anyway.

20. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

lol- new strings, cutting it close!. Well, even if i fail next week, i'm going to buy a car in Jan and then i can practise before next test. But yes, it wouldn't be too bad on public transport until it was sorted :)