1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How far are you willing to travel?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by happypug, Sep 28, 2017.

?

How much time are you willing to spend travelling to work?

1. 15 minutes or less

4.0%
  2. 30 minutes or less

20.0%
  3. 45 minutes or less

40.0%
  4. 1 hour or less

20.0%
  5. 1 hour 15 minutes or less

16.0%
  6. 1 hour 30 minutes or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 1 hour 45 minutes or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. More than 1 hour 45 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. happypug

happypug New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for my first post and wondering how far is a reasonable distance to travel. I feel like I barely managed with the workload of the PGCE at a school 25 minutes away (that's a whole other issue!!) and as a result limited my searches to within a 45 minute drive, the dream being half an hour. I have heard of people being placed nearly 2 hours away and don't know how they managed it. I quite like driving but I'm worried it will eat into my evening when, let's face it, I'll be planning.

I know this depends heavily on what's out there, how much you like the school, and family constraints but what do you think generally? How far do you think is too far, given the nature of the job?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

One of the pleasures of working in a boarding school is to be able to walk across the campus to work (and even to nip home during the day if need be).
    Hated a 50-minute drive to placements on PGCE, had my only at-fault road collision while doing that (no-one hurt, mildly dented my car, other car undamaged, my pride very severely dented).

3. htaylor16

htaylor16 New commenter

In the morning it takes me between 50 - 60 minutes to travel into work going home that can be an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. I don't overly mind it, I put the music on in my car really loudly and helps me unwind. I also use the time to ring my mum - we can talk for hours!!!! If I was driving in an urban setting with lots of traffic I'd hate it but most of my drive takes my me really tiny hamlets and gorgeous countryside so I can put my foot down and really enjoy it. I've been doing it for four years now so I'm kinda use to it. The cost of my weekly fuel bill is a whole other issue

4. dibble1979

dibble1979 New commenter

For me it's 30 minutes or less at a push 45. I don't enjoy driving much anyway but even less if I've had a bad day.

5. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Far enough that you don't bump into kids you teach and their parents. Close enough to not tire you out. 30 mins is ideal in my opinion, but not much more.

6. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Up to 1 hr is fine by me, BUT no cities, Supply teaching for over 10 years. When asked am I busy, I reply, what is the postal code, If it starts with a B, I say no way, traffic is stupid. I willtravel up to 30 miles to school, but no more.