1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How essential are basic computer skills for adults today? A study of TAs use of ICT

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by EstinaJames, Feb 24, 2011.

1. How essential are basic computer skills for adults today? A study of TAs use of ICT
    Hi all
    I could really do with some help and opinions on this statement: How essential are basic computer skills for adults today? A study of TAs use of ICT

I am a 3rd year student at a university studying a degree in IT and Organisation. For my final year project I am researching and writing a dissertation to find out if ‘How essential are basic computer skills for adults today? (A study of TAs use of ICT in and out of the workplace)
    I have chosen this title because at present I work as a part-time TA and an unqualified ICT teacher in a secondary school and would like to know what TAs think. It doesn’t matter if you do not use a computer at work it’s your opinion that matters. There is a large number of TAs in the school where I work who feel computer skills are not necessary to them because they do not support ICT lessons or would rather not support ICT lessons because they don't like it.
    Surely, in today's society aren’t computer skills as important as Maths and English skills? Or is that my theory? There must be a more valid reason than “I just don’t use computers at school so don’t really need the skill.” I would be grateful for any opinions as research materials on TAs use of computers or ICT skills are very limited.

2. How essential are basic computer skills for adults today? A study of TAs use of ICT
    Hi all
    I could really do with some help and opinions on this statement: How essential are basic computer skills for adults today? A study of TAs use of ICT

I am a 3rd year student at a university studying a degree in IT and Organisation. For my final year project I am researching and writing a dissertation to find out if ‘How essential are basic computer skills for adults today? (A study of TAs use of ICT in and out of the workplace)
    I have chosen this title because at present I work as a part-time TA and an unqualified ICT teacher in a secondary school and would like to know what TAs think. It doesn’t matter if you do not use a computer at work it’s your opinion that matters. There is a large number of TAs in the school where I work who feel computer skills are not necessary to them because they do not support ICT lessons or would rather not support ICT lessons because they don't like it.
    Surely, in today's society aren’t computer skills as important as Maths and English skills? Or is that my theory? There must be a more valid reason than “I just don’t use computers at school so don’t really need the skill.” I would be grateful for any opinions as research materials on TAs use of computers or ICT skills are very limited.