1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How early can you hand your notice in

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TroubledTeacher1, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TroubledTeacher1

TroubledTeacher1 New commenter

I'm pregnant (very early days) and on an informal support plan. At the moment I'm highly stressed and anxious.

I'm planning to leave teaching next year. I'm worried I won't get through the next few weeks of the informal plan.

So I must ask whether I can hand in my notice in July informing the school that I will resign in January.

Or is it far too early to resign.

My basis for doing this is that SLT might not put me on capability if they think I'm going to leave anyway?

I hope that makes sense.

I want to be financially secure til January at least and I really dont know if I'll pass the support plan.

Any advice? My union were rubbish.

2. Vitalistics

Vitalistics New commenter

Hello there,

Sorry to hear if your predicament. It sounds as if you could do with getting signed off for a few weeks before making any other decisions as stress can't be good for you in this state

I don't know the answer to this one but I hope things work out :(

jlishman2158 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

My gut feeling says don’t resign yet. I realise you want them to lay off with the support plan, but if it is making you anxious then it would be better you and your baby to go and see your GP and take some time off.

You have a lot going on atm. The most important person is you, but don’t feel pushed into taking any career changing decisions yet.

4. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

If you resign, wouldn't that mean that you miss out on maternity leave that you're entitled to?

Are you committed to leaving teaching next year, or just the particular school? Would it matter if you are placed on capability, or even fail it, if you are never going to apply for a teaching job again?
    Check your contract regarding notice period etc. It is likely that you ARE financially secure until January - I doubt the school could get rid of you before then unless you are guilty of gross misconduct; failing a "support" plan doesn't count.

jlishman2158 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

go maternity, then resign after it ends

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's what they want you to think.
    It's called "being pushed out"
    Tell them you are pregnant. Tell them the pregnancy is turning out to be a difficult one. Tell them it is possibly affecting your abilities at work.
    Tell them in writing and then watch them sidle off backwards through the grass.
    It's called "using what you've got"
    (shamelessly)

7. chevonanc

chevonanc New commenter

If you're feeling stressed and worried about work that isn't good for you or the baby. Tell them that you're pregnant and speak to your midwife about your anxiety if it gets any worse. Once you have notified work that you're pregnant they should do a risk assessment and I would mention then that you are already finding things very stressful. If they don't then make adjustments they could be in a lot of trouble.
    As for resigning, there is nothing to stop you handing in your notice now and a lot of schools appreciate this as they can plan for it in advance. I wouldn't automatically assume that you will get an easier ride for the rest of your employment though. And please do think about your maternity and sickness benefits before making a final decision. Good luck!

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Handing in your notice now is gambling that "SLT might not put me on capability if they think I'm going to leave anyway". That might not be what happens at all. There's a whole long term to come before you leave, SLT might feel they need to continue with capability.

But handing in your notice now definitely takes away your flexibility - if you want to leave at 31st December you don't need to resign until 31st October (assuming you are on a standard teachers' contract). Notice by 31st October is a minimum period, nothing to stop you giving longer but the benefits to you of doing so may be non-existent.

I don't know much about how ML rules work but others have flagged you need to take that into account as well.

Good luck and look after yourself.

9. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

You’re pregnant! They will run a mile if you say this is putting you under huge amounts of stress and pregnancy is causing you to struggle with the workload. Sign off work with Stress. Take mat leave and resign at the end. Suck it for everything you can! Don't hand in notice now. You’d be stupid to. You’ll get 9month pay during mat leave.

10. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

When can your maternity leave start? Will you be 34 weeks by January 1st? If so, take it then. Then you could always end your maternity leave at the beginning of the summer holidays. Ok, you'd lose a few weeks of SMP, but you'd be back on salary. Then you'd only have to work the 6 weeks till October half term, and you would have done 13 weeks to gain enhanced maternity pay. If work was still pants, resign then to leave at January. Do not resign now. Teaching is now full of ruthless, morally shady and self-interested decision makers. Join them.

11. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You can resign whenever you wish, but if you resign now, you wouldn’t be allowed to leave until December at the earliest under LA conditions however, if it’s a mutual agreement that it’s best for both you and the school that you leave, the HT may authorise an earlier leaving date of October half term, or even still July if they got a suitable candidate that they’ve interviewed but was piped to the post by another candidate.
    Don’t count on it, but you can ask.

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can start maternity leave up to 11 weeks before due date.

True - six weeks of full pay is worth having.

Be clear that getting the 13 weeks in to get the enhanced maternity pay does not mean you can leave at October half term - you still have to leave at the end of a term. Some people do return at the start of the summer half-term break, because that means you can get the 13 weeks in but only do 6/7 weeks of teaching.

My thoughts:
    1) Telling them you are pregnant may help, but it isn't a magic "now you can't apply any pressure at all" ticket.
    2) Telling them you are pregnant and that you think you probably won't return after the baby may work as well as a resignation in terms of getting them to back off because they know you're going.
    3) If you can start maternity leave before 1st January, do not resign. If you are on maternity leave, you are still technically employed, which can make a difference to some "in service" benefits. I think most are things that you're unlikely to need, but silly to get rid of them. And there is that summer holiday pay.

Talk to your union, and keep in touch with doctor/midwife and take their advice on stress levels - your health is important.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  13. AJenningsHeathcote

AJenningsHeathcote New commenter

Don't resign now. I know you say you are worried about being on an informal support plan and not passing it but is there not a chance you will pass it and be OK? When does the support plan period end? They won't be doing anything about formal processes before the summer so I'd wait until September at which point you should tell them about the pregnancy anyway. It's then up to you to decide what to do if you are put on formal capability. Even if they went down this road (which as you are pregnant they may be hesitant about) it could take them until Christmas to get to a point of dismissal in which case you'd be paid and get notice pay. I know others have said about taking maternity leave and then resigning but don't forget you'd have to pay back the OMP potentially if you didn't go back.

agathamorse likes this.