1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How dynamic are your teachers?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by headdown, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Would you positively want them to teach your own children?
    I am not saying they are poor but I couldn't say they are widely inspiring how can I make them more pro-active.

2. Would you positively want them to teach your own children?
    I am not saying they are poor but I couldn't say they are widely inspiring how can I make them more pro-active.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

perhaps they're all too terrified of the boss to be inspiring and dynamic?

4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Curlygirl-interesting comment! I once worked in a school with an autocratic overbearing DHT where everyone was too scared to be innovative or had no energy left after checking that every i was dotted and t crossed before they got pulled up over something small to actually focus on making each day the best it could be for the children. When said DHT left- for promotion to HT!- it was as if the same 17 people had suddenly been touched with a magic wand which had creative, dynamic, inspiring, energetic, risk-taking, innovative and outstanding written on it. Children's learning and results soared and the staff morale became amazing. From then on, the process just fed itself and the problem became too many ideas and too much imagination!

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I think anyone who posted that ( as the op did on the " lost the support of the staff" thread the other day), really doesn't need to question why their staff are not dynamic or inspiring enough.

People will only be dynamic and inspiring if theyvare confident that they can take risks and make mistakes without being bullied.

6. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

What inspiring whole school training and cpd do you offer staff in relation to this? Are they clear about how to go about it? Are they encourage to observe each other in a supportive (non performance management way) to experiment with new ideas and try out new strategies? To encourage innovation and risk taking there must also be a healthy debate about T&L in school and an understanding that trying out new and exciting teaching strategies can be a risk, and might not work out first time but in the end leads to better lessons. A supportive climate and culture is needed for this.

7. Re my quote I was asked for advice about how to tackle a problem personally I have never done it but it was an option for a head who was struggling with awkward and uncompromising staff. My issue is passivity and acceptance. Which sounds like it should be a positive but it leads to a rather dull approach. I really need teachers with attitude who care enough to be awkward about wanting to make changes rather than just schemes of work implementors

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It really wouldn't work though and it would lead to a lot of grief for ths head.
    Anyhoo with regard to your op. Do your staff really understand what you want? What do you hope to achieve at your school, what do you want your children to leave school knowing/ being? You need to discuss that with staff, then you need to talk about how you intend to achieve it.
    Pedagogical discussions amongst the staff are very important. What do you think makes a good lesson? What do the staff think? How much of that can be planned for? How much is about subject knowledge and how much about relationships?
    Adopt an open door policy. I teach to allow my staff to be released to go and team teach and spend time in eachother's classrooms. This allows people time to see what's going on in other classrooms, I've also done cross school obs for staff, very helpful
    Decide as a team
    on some short term targets, things that you all want to implement. Make sure everyone has a go and feels able to talk openly about what went well and what they'd change if they did it again, develop a risk taking culture.
    Finally, and possibly most powerfully, lead by example. Teach some inspiring and innovative lessons and let the staff see what you want them to replicate in their own classes.

9. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Headdown your comments over recent threads have really concerned me. I wonder about your understanding of what makes a good leader.
    Sometimes there is a bottom line and my staff know what is non-negotiable however they know that through the CPD we have done together.
    I'm not afraid to tackle weak or poor performance but there is an appropirate way to do it. To truly inspire your staff you have to ask yourself are you yourself 'inspiring'?

10. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

curlygirl- please can I come and work for you! I would love to be in a climate where T and L talk is encouraged and promoted.

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'll let you know when a job comes up. But I'm hoping no ones going anywhere for a while. They're a cracking team.
    Thanks though!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think if HTs expected their teachers to be solid and reliable rather than inspiring and pro-active they'd end up with a better-motivated staff who were more inclined to take the initiative.

13. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Not wanting to be a pain but:

'I think if HTs inspired their teachers to be solid.....

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Resources help too. I'm moving on because I am sick of our head moaning at everyone for a lack of inspiring lessons, when we are the worst resourced school I have ever had the misfortune to work in. The teacher constantly held up as the paragon has spent 2K of her own money on her classroom, so of course it looks better than ours. I've given the head a wish list of essentials to cover the basics never mind the wow bits and it came to 5K.

15. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

What kind of basics cost 5K [​IMG]

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

The 5K will be spent on play resources for 2 FS classes and 3 KS1 classes. We are a FS unit with 4 boxes of old broken construction toys, second hand poor quality toys and never to be used in a classroom unless really desperate, a few jigsaws with pieces missing, etc. Many of the basics have been lent by my own children and the NNs children. All this has to be shared between 56 children in the FS and increasingly with the 3 KS1 classes who have absolutely nothing. Our children are from a deprived area and dont know how to play and look after toys so things dont last as long as they should. When I leave I will be taking all my resources from home with me. Most things left are ready to be replaced. The KS1 classes are so desperate that when we replace old toys that are only fit for the bin, the KS1 classes are given them. Our head will look at another school and say look you would only need a bit of fabric etc to enhance your area. However all those bits add up when you dont have them and I am afraid my wage is spent on my own children now not propping up the system. This has happened over a long period of time due to increasing rolls and increasing classes without proper funding. Also a previous head who didnt agree with play in reception let alone KS1, so there never were the resources to begin with. The new head has increased our budgets dramatically but not enough and doesnt fully understand the scale of under resourcing or the cost of play equipment being KS2 trained.My worry is that if things aren't resourced properly now, they never will be before the inevitable cut backs start to bite.

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Horrible as this situation sounds (and I can totally empathise, having been in the same boat myself as a reception teacher and also finding the same situation when I became a head) this statement simply does not hold water.
    I'm not accusing you of lying. I'm telling you that if that is what you've been told it is not true.
    Each child who is in school on census day brings and amount of money through the AWPN (age weighted pupil number). So if you have 10 reception children you'd get £10k ( as an example, it varies depending on your LA, mines a bit more, in Westminster it's about £3k per child) and if another 10 joined the class before census day you'd get £10k for them too.
    So if your numbers have gone up your funding will have gone up accordingly.
    Of course your head has to take into account increased staffing costs, increasing utility costs etc etc, but to say that you've had more children without more funding is misleading.