1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How dull a kid might Shakespeare have been...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If he'd been forced to study Shakespeare at school?

2. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

I was in a film about Shakespeare once. Definitely more fun than studying it.

Kevin

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The secret lies in telling them the plot first. Simple.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

...he'd probably have been bard witless.

sodalime, nomad, Bedlam3 and 7 others like this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I thought it was boring for the first two years of secondary school when we just read it aloud round the class. Then we had a theatre group in doing scenes from The Merry Wives of Windsor and realised how funny and how rude it was. I enjoyed it after that - it was written to be acted not read aloud by 11 year olds.

sodalime and monicabilongame like this.
  6. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

I don't have a comment to make about the OP as I was neither put off nor enthused by the experience of studying Shakespeare at school.

However, as an adult, I was blown away by this Russian version of King Lear:

The link has English subtitles and the picture quality is terrific.

Reviews from the imdb website:

'This might seem like damning with faint praise, except that Kozintsev has done what Brook didn't, what Olivier's BBC production didn't, and what every stage production I have ever seen resolutely and spectacularly failed to do, that is, to create order and clarity and meaning within arguably the greatest and arguably the most difficult play ever written. It seems easy to do in Kosintsev's version, which is one of his great triumphs. See it'

'Estonian actor Jüri Järvet is masterful as the mad king in a performance which is reminiscent of Kinski as another brilliant madman - Aguirre. They were even the same age when they played Aguirre and Lear. The whole cast is amazing: Kozintsev chose the best actors possible for his project and everyone delivers. I'd like to mention Oleg Dal as the touching Fool; Karl Sebris as the Duke of Gloucester, whose scenes with his son Edgar after having been blinded are very moving; Regimantas Adomaitis as Edmund, a treacherous son and brother but a brilliant man; and Donatas Banionis (who played the main character in Tarkovsky's Solaris) as an intelligent and noble Albany. But like I said, everyone and everything is just perfect in this little known but IMO, the Best adaptation of the beloved and one of the most wrenching tragedies in the English and in the world literature.'

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

You either like Shakespeare or were taught it badly. Choose your sides.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I reckon if Shakespeare was alive today he'd be kicking himself for not writing the lyrics to 'I Will Survive' or 'I Only Want To Be With You'. I just can't imagine his sonnets or some 'Hey nonny no doth my coxcomb charm thy grussets mistress?' ballad ever topping the charts. He'd be an also ran in today's entertainment world.

sodalime, blazer and les25paul like this.
  9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

But as an adult Shakespeare did OK So I suppose "All's well that ends well"

:D

sodalime and nomad like this.
  10. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

There must be only a very few people who were taught it other than badly.

blazer likes this.
  11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Hands off my darling bard!

Every time I read through the sonnets I find something true about human love - from ecstasy to self-pity. Wonderful stuff.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

C'mon; clyster pipes, tupping and two-backed beasts?

13. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

Oh no, children are being forced to study a literary Titan. How shall we ever cope?

sodalime likes this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Its not the studying but the manner of the studying. When at school we just read the plays. Totally boring and put me off him for many years. Only later when I actually saw some of the plays did I begin to enjoy it. I only saw them because someone else encouraged me to go. My hatred of the stuff meant that I would never have bothered otherwise. When he wrote the plays he did so for them to be performed to people whom the majority probably couldn't read.

sodalime and InkyP like this.
  15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Try getting tickets for Anthony and Cleopatra at the National - apart from a few 'limited availabilty' performances it is sold out well into the new year. And that despite the fact that The Globe only a few hundred yards away, is running Macbeth at the same time - as is the Barbican.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Did Shakespeare at 'O' Level, did Shakespeare at 'A' Level, did Shakespeare as a first year undergraduate, saw all the plays we studied too, some performed by some very well-known luvvies.

Still bloody hate Shakespeare, and lose track of it within the first half dozen spoken lines. Having a teacher or tutor translate every page for me was pointless.

Did Webster's 1613 play Duchess of Malfi, understood it, liked it, and can still quote it, so why did Shakespeare have to write everything bloody backwards?

17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

There is a theory that Shakespeare spent some of his childhood at Houghton Tower in Lancashire.

Anyway, if you like Shakespeare you'll love Chaucer. Not a Snellism.

InkyP likes this.
  18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I do love Chaucer. He' so kind and humane..