1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does your school improve its processes?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LeanProcessManager, Sep 5, 2017.

?

What approach does your school have to improving processes?

1. Senior managers tell people what to do

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. New processes are developed together with, or by the people who have to operate them

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Representative working parties are formed

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LeanProcessManager

LeanProcessManager New commenter

I am new to education and would like to learn more about what other schools do.

What do you thinks works well in your school, and what does not work? How would you do things differently? Where is the biggest opportunity to save teachers time and effort by changing the processes you follow?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My last HT tried to do it by getting rid of the older teachers. I can't say whether it worked or not as I was one of them.

3. LeanProcessManager

I am sorry to hear that. That is very unlikely to result in process improvements. Changing the workers but keeping the processes the same will inevitably have the same result.

Did you have written processes in your school or did people make it up as they went along?

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It was a new Head and the school was becoming an Academy so I expect a lot changed. That Head has now left. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

5. LeanProcessManager

Thank you for the update. My particular interest is in business-as-usual changes. Clearly you suffered from a very radical change.

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Is your forum name meant to be ironic?

Just curious because I associate the term 'lean' in organisational terms with fadish bureaucracy that tries to effect reductions by introducing 'processes'.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What are these "processes"? It sounds like a fancy name for stuff that didn't previously actually need a name until it became a V. imp. part of some managers job description.

Seriously though, I have no idea what they are meant to be.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You've not included the ''Lanokia'' option...

Pay lipservice to new ideas and always ensure they are on show when someone comes in my room....

... while just carrying as I've always done, sometimes pinching ideas off folks and using them but mostly just being a good teacher.

9. Mangleworzle

Sounds dangerously radical to me, how can management know everything about everything if they aren't told about it? Those spreadsheet cells aren't going to colour themselves in you know.

peggylu, drek, yodaami2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

mwhahahahaahahahahahahaha

peggylu, drek and yodaami2 like this.
  11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It sounds to me like a service is being sold to milk schools even more. But I'm just cynical, me.

peggylu and drek like this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Fixed that for you.

peggylu, drek, bombaysapphire and 2 others like this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Has someone given you a shiny BMW and a job title beyond your level of expertise?

peggylu, drek, bombaysapphire and 6 others like this.
  14. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Now there's an interesting question.

What's your line of work, LPM?

peggylu and drek like this.
  15. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

Interesting worms....interesting can....opened!

I suspect it may soon be closed........

16. LeanProcessManager

I i
    Thank you for your question. A process is a documented step of actions that a team take to deliver something of value to a user.
    No my name is not meant to ironic. I actually am a lean process manager. If you would like to learn more about Lean then there is a good (short) article here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_higher_education.

You may be aware that mainstream schooling operates an industrial model. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_model_school. This is very effective, just like making cars, most evidence points to the fact that if you put more money in you get better results. In any industrial model the processes your follow to make your product contribute greatly to the outcome. If you are sufficiently old you may remember that in the UK we used to have a car company called British Leyland that made cars that did not work. At the same time Toyota made cars that did work. The management model that they used is now called "Lean", it is based on Respect for People and as such is a good fit for schools.

17. LeanProcessManager

Thank you for your question. A process is a written set of steps that are followed by a team to achieve a goal of value to the user. The team who actually use the process review it regularly to see if it can be improved. Management ensure that changes to the process don't simply move work to others, this is an example of "systems thinking".

18. LeanProcessManager

Thanks Lanokia, it sounds like your school does not have a culture that delivers effective change. After all if a new idea had sufficient value and buy-in it would not be necessary to pay lip service to it. You would work to deliver it effectively.

emerald52 likes this.
  19. LeanProcessManager

Thank you for your comment. I have responded to this question here.

20. LeanProcessManager

No. As a self-employed person I have to earn my living every day and buy my own Ford Galaxy. Most of my work has been in the private sector and I think that it would fair to say that levels of management expertise seem to be lower in Education.

peggylu likes this.