1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how does your school ensure art objectives are being covered

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milliebear1, Apr 10, 2012.

1. We don't.
    They're on the MTP, and we trust our teachers to deliver them.
    There is plenty of evidence on the display boards around school though!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We don't. No one checks or monitors any such thing. Our school is meeting enough opposition from some quarters in trying to ensure all maths and literacy objectives are covered at an appropriate level, art is way down the list!

Sorry.

3. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Ah, don't be sorry, everyone at my school feels the same way! However, my head wants to ensure we are all doing what we are meant to be doing incase we get a subject inspection! As Art Co I know we aren't covering what we should be.
    We have science, maths and writing/reading weeks/days and staff do it, but don't like it (even though the kids do!) and for my performance management I have to do an arts week plus skills progression in the arts. Arts week will be fine, but getting people to do it will take a lot of motivation! It's a bit frustrating when I'm happy to help with theirs (sorry mini moan) It's such a shame. I know people think art is way down on the list (and it is) but the kids get lots out of it.
    oh well, thank you anyways :) x

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Noooo I might have misled you. Art isn't way down the list and there is lots and lots on display. Everyone teaches art every week, more or less. But ensuring skills are covered and ensuring progression isn't a priority.

Maybe do an art day this year and progress to a week next year? It is a big ask to get people to do a whole week of art, especially without masses and masses of notice to organise resources, etc.

5. We do arts week, but we only do afternoons.
    We do a whole week of afternoon art on a single project with our own class (one hour each day aimed for) and another three hours in the same week where we teach another 'quick art' lesson to another class. For example, I am year 5, and teach the other year 5 class and the two year 6 classes a short arts lesson based on either music, dance, drama or visual art.

6. We highlight the Chris Quigley Key Skills doc for each area and pass this onto the subject coordinator and next year group at the end of each year. We highlight the relevant level skills in red where we haven't covered or most children didn't grasp, amber where it was covered but a significant number of children didn't get it and green where it was covered well and got by pretty much all. It is more of a check list to make sure we aren't missing big chunks out, rather than an accurate idea about any children in particular. This is for the foundation subjects. We use APP grids for maths and english.