1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does your school deal with social media issues

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by joby59, Jun 17, 2019.

1. joby59

joby59 New commenter

What does your school do with complaints from parents about children’s behaviour on social media outside of school - insults/bullying/**** etc? Ours tend to consider it as not on school grounds , not for us to manage - what do you think ?

2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Tricky!

When I worked in an inner city school, we had an on-site police officer and these sorts of issues were passed on to them. It worked well because it very clearly made the point to students that they are accountable for their online actions. The police officer was able to access the social media sites, take screen shots and use them to show that evidence exists in the same way online. This was effective in curbing the issues and it was backed up with PSHE modules to discuss social media use. On the whole, parents supported this approach.

Now, I work in a rural school and we don't have this sort of provision. When these issues are reported, they are usually dealt with by pastoral heads of year. There seems to be more gossiping by students from this method but they are at least tackled head on. Parents/students are encouraged to take evidence themselves and then this is discussed in meetings with HOYs, parents and involved students.

Of course, it'a an enormous drain on teacher time and a lot of it is petty, but it is part of their lives and I don't think it's good enough to say it's nothing to do with the school. We all know there's not much equality in terms of the parenting our students get, so we do need to support them in this aspect.

What do others think?

3. bon_bonnie

bon_bonnie New commenter

I can only speak from a Junior School perspective, however this is becoming more of an issue as the years go by.
    For my school I guess we have a leg to stand on because the students are firstly acting illegally due to the age restrictions on using applications to be 13 years old.

At the beginning of the school year, we invite the local police liason officers to come and do a presentation to our Stage 3 students (Years 5 and 6). The officer discusses online safety, cyber bullying, what to do if this happens to you, consequences of actions etc. These sessions run for about an hour and the students are able to ask questions, complete activities and the presentations are real life based with multi media visuals to engage the students. As classroom teachers, this is filtered into our PDHPE units of work and Digital Citizens Science units of work that gets readdressed throughout the year.

Our parents and caregivers are also given information about the Police session and our school's ICT policy. If students provide evidence of online inappropriate behaviour such as screen shots, then our Pastoral Care Teachers, Coordinators and Heads of Wellbeing and School are notified. Usually this involves parents being contacted and brought in. Depending on the nature of the online behaviour, consequences can range from in-school suspension, off-site suspension and expulsion for serious cases.

Hope you find this helpful.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

@bon_bonnie, we're primary too and our approach is very much like yours. As you say, they are all under 13 and so too young to be legally using any of these sites, but I would estimate that 70% of our Year 5s and 6s do - the vast majority with parental knowledge and agreement. We have cyber safety presentations for pupils and parents and have similar consequences and procedures to yours if children have evidence of inappropriate on-line behaviour.

Sadly though, it's still on the increase.