1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does your garden grow - KL ?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by splitpin, Jan 11, 2008.

1. splitpin

splitpin New commenter

Does any one know what this school is like to teach at. There are very mixed comments that are 2 years old on other threads.

2. splitpin

splitpin New commenter

Does any one know what this school is like to teach at. There are very mixed comments that are 2 years old on other threads.

3. MyOrchid

MyOrchid New commenter

I found it as enjoyable/rewarding/frustrating as any of the other schools I've worked at. Has many good staff/students though also some "issues for development". New Headmaster last year is apparently still finding his feet....Salary also recently gone up, but I think you now have to pay a proportion of fees if you have kids there (?) On the whole, I enjoyed working there for most of the time, cost of living was affordable, and there are opportunities to travel in Malaysia and SE Asia.
    Orchid

4. Hi, I will be joining the gardeners in August it would be great to chat to anyone teaching there at the moment or anyone living in K.L

5. I have worked at the horticultural school for 3 years, it's a nice place, staff got a big pay rise last year to make it comparable with the other schools in kl, so the comments from 2 years ago about pay not really applicable now.
    Don't have to contribute anything for kids at school, it is free for 2 children.
    great part of the world to be in, wonderful for cheap travel (airasia), kl a modern city, school good location.

6. splitpin

splitpin New commenter

Hi thanks for the helpful comments about gardening. is it possible to save money as a married couple, both teaching, while living and working in KL.

7. yes if both of you are working, saving could be done. Living costs are quite cheap, eating out fairly cheap - compared to UK, although it's not cheap compared to a lot of SE Asia. A lot of staff here to enjoy great hols at the beach, nice scenery, good area for travel and saving not a priority, but with both working it could definately be done.

8. I'm researching a post at a similarly managed school in Putrajaya. Does anyone know anything about this particular establishment either way?