1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does the strike action affect you if you are on Maternity?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by nearly qualified, Jun 20, 2011.

1. HI
    Just wondering, I satrted my maternity leave today and was wondering how the strike action on Thursday will affect me? Not sure if anyone can help, thanks x

2. HI
    Just wondering, I satrted my maternity leave today and was wondering how the strike action on Thursday will affect me? Not sure if anyone can help, thanks x

3. Well unless you wish to strike, it shouldn't. It maybe worthwhile speaking to union regional office and asking if it is necessary for you to write to your HT and state that you are not striking so that no deductions etc can be taken...

4. I can't imagine it will. You can't work because you're on maternity leave (as am I) so you can't strike IYSWIM.

5. Hi,
    I have a similar question- Will my maternity pay be affected if i strike? I am on maternity leave from September and can't seem to get a straight answer!
    Many thanks for your help :)

6. your maternity pay is based on your average wages for the 15 weeks prior to you going on maternity leave, so technically it would reduce it slightly, but it'll be something like £175 (rough amount you'll be docked) devided by 15 weeks so at most £11.66 a week less. this is if you strike and if your school work it out that way.

7. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I'm going to the rally as I can't actually withdraw my labour. You could do that if you support the strike.

8. I asked finance manager at school and she doesn't seem to think it should affect mat pay at all (I'm on mat leave from august), but as I'm still unsure I have emailed my union and will let you know what they say.

10. Thanks for your help :)

11. Hi,
    I've been trying to find out about his all day!! NUT didn't quite know as said it depends how your LA work out your pay. It can affect OMP if they work it out baed on the 12 weeks prior to your leave but as someone else said it shouldn't make too much difference. Finally I spoke to my LA who said that they didn't think it would affect my pay because we get an extra good deal. So I am going to strike and hope for the best. Be glad of a day off!!!