1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does tha "Grammarly" thing work?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I keep getting pop-ups about this Grammarly thing. Is it invasive? What does it do? Do you let it have a go at your Word files, and it autocorrects them to within its own parameters? Is it American, in that Yankspeak is different from "proper" English? I wondered for writing my books, and correcting some previous, or will it just make a complete "town halls" of everything?

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The free version installs itself on your machine and you can use it on all word applications. This includes emails,facebook and the like. Handy for articles and long writing .The proffesional version is better, but obviously expensive, but checks syntax and other features such as suggesting better words for inclusion in your sentences.
    The free application will check most of any spelling mistakes and seeks to underline gramatical problems and give you suggestions to the side of the writing. This you can click and it automaticaly correct the words for you. You don't have to accept it suggetions as the correcting page opens up on a seperate page away from the place were the work is written. You then send the corrected work back to the original location.
    It also misses out some spellings.Yes, it uses American spelling in many places but you can reject this. It's easy to instal and uninstall on your machine and doesn't seek to take over your contacts unless you let it

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Are we to understand from your knowledge of it, that you have been using this software, @oldsomeman?

If so, what better insight into its value can there possibly be?

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ach-edited out,trying to make a poor point

5. Ivartheboneless

So how is it different from the system for "review" within Microsoft word, which does the same thing? If nearly everybody uses Word, why would you go for Grammarly at all?

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Because Grammarly works with whatever you are using and not just Word, including writing a post on here presumably.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There used to be a spellchecker on here. What happened to it? I'm pretty sure it was still there at the last upgrade.

The only criticism I had of it was that it used Yankee spelling.

8. oldsomeman

Is it something I say that causes yourself to be so sarcastic when all I did was answer a query.
    Go back to your disparaging remarks on the government!

9. oldsomeman

corretin your assumption, but only if you allow it work in that section.Word has its own spell checker but not everyone uses word.For example, I use Free office .

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

If you're using Grammarly I guess you know that everything you type is sent to their servers and may be retained by them for an unspecified period?

TCSC47 likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Well I did wonder about that. So no Grammarly for me! Query answered ta!

12. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I have grammar and spellcheck as part of my browser - set to British English.
    You don't need Grammarly - especially as it doesn't seem to be very accurate.

13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have a spell checker on all my typing on the web though I have to admit I don't know where it came from!

14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

And if their servers are in America, the USA government agencies have a legal right to access them. I'm not saying this is something to worry about but just commenting on where we are going day by day, bit by bit.

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

It's adverts are certainly invasive. You would have thought that the ( probably vastly overpaid ) advertising pratts had figured out by now that after the tenth time of having their advert impose itself on us, within a morning times work on our PCs, it might just be going to become a bit irritating.

16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Where Grammarly really irritates me is on Utube. Recently my ad-blocker stopped working on my desk top, and every five mins or so a Grammarly advert breaks into the utube I am viewing.

I accept that adverts pay for the utube, but there are lots of adverts at the side of the utube screen that are non-invasive. The rest of the world works on non-invasive adverts and manages to survive. That is apart from TV adverts where you go to make a cup of tea anyway.

The salaries paid to these advertising people would presumably attract at least some of intelligence, so can't they figure out what a negative response in people their invasive adverts cause?

Grammarly sounds great but I'm certainly not going to use it because their adverts irritate me.

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Actually I have history and baggage with this, so I will explain (apologies for going somewhat off the point though).

It was my first year of teaching after my degree and my PGCE at Warwick Uni. and it was the university's 21st anniversary and I was really looking forward to attending the celebration weekend and hopefully meeting up with some of my fellow ex-students.

To publicise the event the university mailed out several glossy magazines and these contained articles about ex students. One of them was from the guy who made up the puerile "Hello Tosh. Got a Toshiba?" advertising phrase. You probably don't remember it but it was heard quite frequently on the tele in those days.

Anyway the guy had become a millionaire by the age of 30 or some such. However, he had dropped out from his maths degree at Warwick, which I think was the point he was trying to make, all-be-it strange for an article in a university publicity publication.

The bit that got to me though was that he went on to say how anybody could become a millionaire. All you needed was "hard work" --- ! And here was I, on my hands and knees, utterly struggling, like all the rest of us, with our probationary year, wondering what on Earth I had committed myself to and working God knows how many hours a week to survive the onslaught of my year nines.

Sadly, I threw the magazine in the bin and never went to the university celebrations which I came to regret. Never mind, all water under the bridge now. Once again apologies for being off topic.

18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

They are, and they are hosted by the Amazon web servers - not where I’ll be putting everything I type!

Grammarly has had huge security issues and according to some, it still has. Apparently badly written browser extensions were allowing every website to access all of a persons grammarly data.