1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does telling the time fit in with APP?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dowager_countess, May 22, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I'm a Y4 teacher and I'm sure teachers in similar age groups will know how tough it can be for some children to understand the concept of time. It's tough to teach for so many reasons, including the fact that there are so many ways of saying the same thing, and that the clock face goes up to 12 and most children are familiar with base 10!

But on the APP grids all it says is...

L3 - use standard units of time, e.g.

? read a 12-hour clock and generally calculate time durations that do
    not go over the hour

· use a wider range of measures,

L4 - use units of time, e.g.

? calculate time durations that go over the hour

? read and interpret timetables

So where does reading a digital clock come into it? Or children knowing how to represent the time in 24 hour format?

What do you do about children that can just use an analogue clock and know literally just the o'clock times and quarter and half past??

I'm just struggling with my assessments at the moment as you can probably tell, any help would be great, thank you :)

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I'm afraid I can't help, but had to post because I'm so glad someone else is frustrated with this as well! I also teach Y4 and have spent a lot of time (especially with specific groups of pupils) working on the different skills involved in telling the time. Like you, I find that this breaks down into lots of small targets (recognising the hour & half-hour, recognising quarter past and quarter to, reading 5 min intervals on 'past' side of clock, reading 5 min intervals on 'to' side of clock, etc) and each target needs time and demonstrates progress.
    However, this is brushed over very quickly on APP so it looks like an unimportant area and doesn't give teachers the chance to show the hard-won progress children are making.
    I can see some Y4 teachers might be tempted not to bother too much with this area as a result. I think this is a huge mistake, because Y5 have very little opportunity to teach time (just building in 24hr clocks) and there's no real teaching of time in Y6, where the focus is on applying & problem solving. Surely knowing how to tell the time is an essential life skill, so why isn't this reflected in their progress grids?

3. Like you, I'm a Y4 teacher. If they all understand the hour, half past, quarter past and quarter to, I don't worry too much. I'd rather they can add up and subtract and know their times tables. They'll all get to it eventually and some children can be in Y6 before it clicks. I do think this is something that should be taught by parents. I know my own children learnt it because, if they didn't know the time, they couldn't go out with their mates as they didn't know what time to get back. [​IMG]

4. Hi, we're new to this forum and posted some questions related to a time learning apps yesterday that could help make the process fun and rewarding for those using iPads in a class

I'm not sure how to direct you to the thread in question unfortunately, but if you search for 'Gravois' you'll see my post

Our app is called Tell the Time with Bubbimals and aimed at reception and years 1,2, possibly up to yr 3 but visually it may be too young for older groups?

It has 5 stages of learning so the child at stage one is restricted to hours only, and then works their way up to stage 5 full use of hours and minutes. We deal with quarters and halves along the way and there's a speaking clock voiced by a 6 year old girl to help and support what they are doing.

There are also 4 different 'play' modes to allow for mixed recognition challenges of analogue and digital clocks, spoken and written time formats.

So far we've had good consumer feedback but a better test is within the teaching environment and that's why we are interested in how procurement process work on a teacher or school or borough level.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Maybe you should just teach it without reference to APP?
    I'm sure it's in the National Curriculum[​IMG]
    Once you can read the time digitally and on a clock, there are only 2 real kind of calculations you can do with time. How long something is on for / need to wait for and when do they finish / start?
    Easily adaptable depending on the ability of the children.