1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does summative assessment fit in?

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by champagnecharlie, Apr 23, 2012.

1. I am just wondering how others are fitting summative assessment into CFE? Are you doing for example a level 3 test with cut-offs for d/c/s? Or are you just testing individual outcomes at certain levels? I am confused. I know we need to come to an overall picture of 'how often' and 'how well' pupils are doing things but how do individual summative assessments fit in?

2. Yip, this raises more questions than it answers though. How are you assessing?

3. By giving the pupils a task and recording their success at the experiences involved in it.

4. Ok how are you recording, do you have a profile of some sort? I think part of the problem is that as the outcomes are so skills based we don't really know what level 3/4 looks and sounds like. We had arrived at a shared understanding of it as a department through moderation etc but after attending a recent cpd I think we may have interpreted wrongly. There is also not enough advice as to how we should be recording and evidencing progress. A lot of the marking in my subject is not a straightforward mark out of 20 for example so it's very difficult to arrive at some sort of standardised approach.

5. yes. A profile booklet which records each successful attempt at an outcome.
    Part of the moderation process is identifying good practice and building on that as well as identifying mistakes and correcting them.
    Agreed. But it's becoming much clearer that the teacher should be recording progress in each outcome. Evidencing is difficult - assessment jotter, taking photo's of pupil work, video or sound clips have all been suggested. Most of my assessments are written in an assessment jotter, with occasional assessments done on posters, powerpoints etc.

Again, I agree. It's difficult trying to do this without a nationally agreed standard. If you decide to not mark out of 20 but agree on some other way then that will be fine.Without knowing your subject, I can't give an example, but for maths, for example, if I give a set of 10 questions and the last 2 questions were at the level required to demonstrate success, then I could still give a mark out of 10, but also have criteria to determine success at the level - ie last 2 questions correct then pass.

6. When is this moderation supposed to take place? We have very little time to be honest. We are trying to dedicate DM's to moderation but it is very difficult with all the other pressures. When do others fit it in?
    I find this cumbersome and time consuming. My time would be better spent creating more original and relevant resources. Is anyone doing anything different?
    I'd rather not reveal my subject as I don't want to be identified - suffice to say it's not numerical or scientific.

7. I try to allow 1 to 2 hours per term for moderation. I don;t find this to be too intrusive, and we manage to identify weak areas pretty quickly.
    I don't find it time consuming, as it's filled in by the pupils as part of them taking responsibility for their learning.

8. The main objective of the moderation would be to make sure we all have a shared understanding of what the levels look like as at this stage we have so little to go on.

Do you keep a copy of pupils profile and do they have one also? At the moment we are working with both but again that is a lot of paper. If I have 7 classes with an average of 25 pupils that's 175 sheets just for my copies!!

9. The pupils keep a paper copy which contains the unpacked outcomes. I keep an electronic copy of the same thing to record that the outcomes have been taught and assessed. Once or twice a term, I take the profiles home and input the information from the profile sheet into a spreadsheet so i can track their progress. This takes about an hour for each class. So, only one paper copy, everything else is electronic.

10. Electronic or paper it is still two copies of the same thing!!

11. Not really. The pupils record progress in the unpacked outcomes, whereas i record progress in the packed outcomes. You asked how I was assessing and recording, but do you really want to know?

12. Yes. Do you have a definition of 'packed' and 'unpacked'? I am seriously trying not to freak out. Just looked at the final specs for Nat 4/5 and Higher. Would really have been much more useful if we had had these 3 years ago!

13. Packed is vague - covers a lot of skills/knowledge.
    Unpacked is more specifically the skills and knowledge that cover the vague outcome.

simple example:
    I can communicate with my friends.

unpacked may be:

I can use a phone to call someone

I can write an e-mail

I can use a mobile phone to text someone.

14. Just out of curiosity, cheesy---how was the unpacking done and by whom? At the LA level, cluster level, school level, teacher level...? We were told to avoid unpacking, but I can't see how to assess in any real way without something more concrete to go on. The E's and O's are all cotton wool.

15. For my subject, I know of 3 authorities that have unpacked the outcomes. I picked one and used it. I don;t see how you can understand what's to be taught or assessed unless you break the vague outcomes into skills and knowledge which can be assessed.
    I think it's bad advice to not unpack the outcomes for this reason. If anyone asks I'll explain why.

16. I think it's just so unfortunate we are being put in this position. I feel a bit like someone has put me in a room with a blinfold on! And NOT in a kinky way!!

17. Absolutely agree with you on this. Am at wits' end with CfE vagueness and thinking of doing just as you have done, borrowing and using stuff from other LAs and damn the torpedoes.

18. rosered27

rosered27 New commenter

It has been very interesting to read all these posts. I agree that CfE assessment is an issue and I am sure more clarification will be provided for the internal assessments of the new qualifications soon.
    It is not necessary to assess individual Es and Os if they can be assessed in a combined manner. I fully understand the concerns about how to define d - c - s.... it is a tricky one. For me, a combination of quantitative and qualitative data collection works fine. My guideline is that National 4 equates to current Intermediate 1/SG General standard. And I work my way down from there to assess in S1 and S2. It might not work in all subjects though. Pupils and parents are happy with that.
    The problem is that quantitative data can be generalized and shared with other teachers whereas qualitative data does not offer this service. Hence, I prefer giving marks for answers in assignments which I have developed embracing Es and Os (more than one or I would be assessing forever). When it comes to productive skills, I use my professional judgement having the standards for Int 1/ Int 2/ SG etc. in the back of my mind.
    Yes, I agree that the NAR section needs to be developed further. The main thing is though that teachers keep talking to each other and sharing their concerns, suggestions and thoughts. We are all professionals and maybe need remind ourselves of that from time to time.

19. I would like to think I am professional which is why I object strongly to being put into what I feel is an impossible position. I would like some dedicated time to 'talk to each other' (ie at in-service or dedicated after school slots). I can think of 2 days in my current school (in the past 3 years) which have been dedicated to CfE development. Not nearly enough. There is not enough time dedicated to it in the WTA either. We have not even had a chance to compare profiling etc across depts in school.

20. rosered27

rosered27 New commenter

The Head teacher in my school has encouraged us to put in for "professional development days" during study leave (to minimize cover) so that we can make time to discuss things. Perhaps this could work for your school, too?
    I am a one person department but have used the 21st century media world to share with other teachers. Much depends on SMT in schools on whether or not you will be given the time you need. Where there is a will, there is a way...