1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does she stand?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bahli, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I have a friend who is currently doing a maternity cover up until October. She is concerned that she will miss out on permanent jobs as they are usually filled in September. How does she stand on leaving her maternity cover post if she is offered a newpost to start in September?

Thanks

2. Hi.
    I have a friend who is currently doing a maternity cover up until October. She is concerned that she will miss out on permanent jobs as they are usually filled in September. How does she stand on leaving her maternity cover post if she is offered a newpost to start in September?

Thanks

3. Tricky one. I see her point but she did accept the fixed term contract and therefore the school has every right to expect her to honour that. It might be worth sharing her concerns with the HT and seeing if the lady on maternity cover has changed her plans at all. The best case scenario would be that the lady has decided to return for September instead of October.

4. Depends what management is like I suppose, if she approaches them and says "Hey I've got a permanent job offer, which will provide me with stability. Is there anything stable like that here?". Hopefully the principal will realise how important this permanent job actually is and understand that she needs to take it.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree a tricky one!
    Depends what type of contract it is. It might be worthwhile going to the Head with her concerns, after all if she starts applying for jobs, she's going to need a reference & would have to let her Head know she's applying for posts.
    Then she can discuss the possibility of any posts coming up in the school as a previous poster says. Problem then becomes; will there actually be a post?

6. Thanks for the responses guys:)

7. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

Definitely get her to have a chat with the head. With enough advance notice the head might be able to find cover for Sept-Oct -it wouldn't affect the children too much in the sense that presumably it would be a new class.

8. chocolatelover

chocolatelover New commenter

Check the conrtact, but even with a fixed term contract you can hand in your notice and leave. It is usually 6 weeks notice/half term.