1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does one qualify for a 'signature'?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Lascarina, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Just wondering and can't seem to find the criteria anywhere. Could you spell them out for us, please, TES_Rosaline? Thank you in anticipation. Only I know some people have already bought their outfits ready for the investiture and they are just waiting for the call.

2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Lascarina,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your message.

I believe it was you that started a long discussion about signatures not too long ago.

I think I mentioned in that thread that the Moderation Team need to see people's posting history before they decide to add the signature feature to certain users' accounts:

upload_2015-11-16_16-34-43.png

My exact words were:

Hello everyone,

I'm sure that over time most people will gain a signature because they adhere to the house rules and contribute positively to the Community, but as one member has already pointed out this feature cannot be available to everyone. The team need to see people's posting history on the new forums before giving members the ability to create their own signature.

I also posted the following on the linked discussion below:

https://community.tes.com/threads/community-site-bugs.210982/page-9#post-11477505

upload_2015-11-16_16-34-19.png

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thank you for your reply, TES_Rosaline. It is still not clear to me how the Moderation Team will 'see' people's posting history and what features of this history they will abstract to determine whether to give the members 'the ability to create their own signature'.

I see in the reply that you gave to magic surf bus that the signature feature is not available to all members. Is it, however, potentially available to all members? On what basis do you judge whether members have helped others? Is this judgement based purely on objective criteria such as whether a poster offers advice on jobs or posts a certain number of resources, or is it more subjective? How can you determine the degree of help posters offer each other? And what is a good and long standing reputation? Some posters have been posting on the site since 2002. I myself have been posting since 2004 apart from a break from Jan -October this year.

Of course I do realise that I had my wrist slapped last week for posting 'the thread without words' which probably means I will never qualify for the invitation to have a signature. There are, however, many posters whose longstanding reputation is unblemished and whose support for and help to others is legendary but who have not been invested with the signature. I am enquiring, not because I have any yearning for a signature myself, but to clarify the policy on this matter which still seems to me to remain rather murky.

4. TES_Rosaline

You're welcome @Lascarina.

As I said before, the Moderation Team will be able to see people's posting history as well as the positive contribution members make to the Community.

Yes, it is. I'm sure that in time most users will have a signature. However, I'm sure you can appreciate what a busy time the team has had in trying to test and introduce the new platform and try to get members used to the new software and its features. Moving everyone on to the new forums was the priority for the Community Team as well as trying to gather suggestions about how to refine the site as well as deal with and resolve technical glitches.

I'm sure that you will see more users showcasing their signatures over the next coming months. However, some users may not wish to use this feature.

The feature is there to acknowledge a user's good reputation and contribution to the Community as well as encourage good and positive behaviour in other forum members.

I'm sure you can appreciate that not everyone falls into this category which is why it was not given to every single member of the Community.

I'm sure you can see examples of the positive contribution people have made to the Community by answering queries in a positive, friendly and informative manner in places such as Workplace dilemmas, the sector and role forums etc. But that's not to say that people who regularly post in other forums such as Entertainment, Parenting, Behaviour, Pay and conditions, Personal, Education news etc., will not receive a signature.

You just need to give the team time to get round to issuing this feature to users.

As I have stated before a user's posting history will be looked at - this is the objective/subjective criteria that you referred to. And just like moderation decisions, the decision about who gets a signature or not is not really an issue for debate.

I'm sure you can see examples of the positive contribution people have made to the Community by answering queries in a positive, friendly and informative manner in places such as Workplace dilemmas, the sector and role forums etc. But that's not to say that people who regularly post in other forums such as Entertainment, Parenting, Behaviour, Pay and conditions, Personal, Education news etc., will not receive a signature.

Members who would like to nominate contributors who fit this description are free to send an email to TES.Community@tesglobal.com or a conversation/PM to TES_Community (please mark the subject of the email or message signature nominations) with two or three suggested usernames a month for consideration by the Moderation Team. I can't guarantee that all the nominated users will be issued with a signature but they will be considered and I'm sure if their posting history matches their unblemished reputation then they might find the signature feature in the drop-down menu under their username.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I hope the answers above have made things less murky for you.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

TES_Rosaline, thank you for your detailed reply. You are a true gem with the patience of a saint! I can already think of posters I would like to nominate.:)

6. Primary_RE_teacher

Primary_RE_teacher Occasional commenter

My signature would be- Teacher- A roller coater of a ride that does not involve The Smiler.

Ps. New as of today!

7. TES_Rosaline

You're welcome @Lascarina

Don't forget to let the Moderation Team know.

8. Primary_RE_teacher

Primary_RE_teacher Occasional commenter

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

First you have to have built up a longstanding unblemished reputation and demonstrated legendary support and help to other posters.

I don't think 3 days counts.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Could be one of those clubs where if you want to belong, then you don't qualify! ;)

Best wishes

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

'Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed'. I clicked on the email address and got this message.

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You should still be able to copy and paste it into an email, @Lascarina.

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thanks, Flere.

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ooooooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lascarina likes this.