1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does one meet people?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by madenglishgirl, Jan 7, 2011.

1. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I'm at a loss... Dating sites seems to be full of weirdos who just want to 'do things' on cam (ewwww) and I only ever see other people at work. How the hell do you go about meeting a significant other?

2. Met mine at a wedding

3. bnm

bnm

You join things.
    I joined a badminton club, bell ringing group and a walking club.
    Met him at the walking club.

4. madenglishgirl

I would gladly join things if it wasn't for the fact I have a toddler and limited babysitting services!

5. bnm

bnm

Could do (slow) walking with a toddler.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Church
    Young Farmers
    Local political party meetings
    If you want well off you could buy an old mercedes and start some topics on MB forums. Or you could ask what an indicator is on the BMW sites. They will be flummoxed / intrigued by the natural fit.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Some people have met partners here.
    It can happen anywhere!

8. Are you using internet dating sites you have to pay for? The free ones tend to attract people looking for a bit of 'fun.' Try Guardian Soulmates and match.com?

9. madenglishgirl

Can't see myself doing that again....!

I'm just dipping my toes in for now

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

footfetish.org then

11. madenglishgirl

12. Really?!

13. I think I'd be wary of people on dating sites if i had a toddler.
    I think the idea of joining clubs abd stuff is good. even if you don't find romance, you will "connect" with people and that's very important.

14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Easier said than done though ... I've never yet found a man at an evening class!

15. I've met most of my girlfriends through work really.
    Personally, I think it works better if teachers are with teachers.
    Parteners who are not teachers, in my experience, find it difficult to realise the workload you have!

16. Can I ask why?

17. bnm

bnm

I'm eternally grateful mr bnm is nothing to do with education! Helps me keep school life in perspective.

18. madenglishgirl

There's not much choice pickings at work [​IMG]

All of my long-term relationships have been with teachers and I am definitely NOT keen to go down that route again...EVER

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My 40 something sister met her current beau online, they've been living together for some time and it all looks pretty solid to me. Online works for some people.

One suggestion would be some sort of activity holiday/vacation/expedition based on an interest, although age may be a factor there.

20. I think if I wasn't in a relationship (nine years and a baby - eek) I would probably have a go on-line.

Seems the totally normal and acceptable thing to do these days.
    That, or just leave it to bumbling chance...