1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how does one become an artist in residence?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by marcusdarwin, Feb 27, 2011.

1. How does one get to become an artist in residence? I have heard of plenty of schools/colleges having these although they are rarely advertised. Furthermore whenever I answer an ad I am never successful: the competition must be extreme and this may form a partial answer. I am looking for advice about this from anyone in the know as despite the fact I have been a practising artist and qualified teacher of art for many years the workings of the art world and in particular the procedures by which one becomes an artist in residence remain a deep and impenetrable mystery: almost like a rite not revealed to the uninitiated. It may be possible that most of these positions go to textile artists or ceramicists. I just don’t know.
    There are those of you that may argue: “Well, you’re probably ****”. To those willing to comment on my merits or lack thereof as an artist I offer this link. Constructive criticism more than welcome.
    http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/yourgallery/artist_profile/Marcus+Darwin/1837.htm

2. How does one get to become an artist in residence? I have heard of plenty of schools/colleges having these although they are rarely advertised. Furthermore whenever I answer an ad I am never successful: the competition must be extreme and this may form a partial answer. I am looking for advice about this from anyone in the know as despite the fact I have been a practising artist and qualified teacher of art for many years the workings of the art world and in particular the procedures by which one becomes an artist in residence remain a deep and impenetrable mystery: almost like a rite not revealed to the uninitiated. It may be possible that most of these positions go to textile artists or ceramicists. I just don’t know.
    There are those of you that may argue: “Well, you’re probably ****”. To those willing to comment on my merits or lack thereof as an artist I offer this link. Constructive criticism more than welcome.
    http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/yourgallery/artist_profile/Marcus+Darwin/1837.htm

3. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Hi Marcus,

subscribe to AN Magazine, they are often listed in there. Theres also a website with lots of residencies from all over the world listed on it, ill try to find you the link.

out of interest, do you teach full time at the moment?

4. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

Here's a link to a-n's residencies online http://www.a-n.co.uk/jobs_and_opps/listings/86769
    Best of luck

5. darkness

darkness New commenter

Most councils actually have a specific department or person for it if you are thinking along the school route. Contact the main council office and ask to be put through, if they have no idea, then ask to go to the educational department and ask them.