1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does my cat know?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

My chilled, laid back, dopey, affectionate , follows-me -everywhere cat is hissing and backing away from me every time I happen to enter the same room as her, and is sprinting out and hiding for hours until the next time I accidently catch sight of her, when she hisses, backs away and sprints off again. This has been going on for two days.

How doe she know I've got a tiny sealed tube of flea control spot- on hidden at the bottom of my pocket?

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

What your cat sees...

[​IMG]

3. Corvuscorax

well, she has been caught and treated, but it is making it abundantly clear that she no longer considers us to be friends.:(

4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

My dog does exactly the same with worming tablets. He'll eat anything - shoes, plastic wrappers, socks, dead squirrels and other dogs turds but give him a tiny wee worming tablet and he clamps his mouth shut and refuses to take it. I've tried moulding it inside a lump of cheese and all sorts. In the end I resort to getting my husband to pin him down whilst I slide the tablet in the side of his jaw and then I hold his muzzle closed until he swallows it. Sometimes we can sit like that for ages then as soon as we let him go he spits it out.

emerald52 and Jamvic like this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

We have to go through similar subterfuge and devise elaborate con tricks to get our dogs to eat worming tablets too. The flea treatment is acceptable if I apply it but a complete non-starter if my OH attempts it. I’ve long since given up trying to work out pet reasoning.

Bedlam3 and emerald52 like this.
  6. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Many many moons ago I had to de-worm my daughters (and you thought nits were bad). And my husband.
    Went through very similar process.

Jamvic, nomad and Bedlam3 like this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Even my chickens can recognise the purple spray bottle, and run away!

Jamvic and nomad like this.
  8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Jamvic likes this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Put it on a plate with biscuits and cheese while you're having tea. He might nick it along with the biscuits (obviously dog friendly, no sweeteners/chocolate etc.)

Bedlam3 and Jamvic like this.
  10. Corvuscorax

I am being forgiven by degrees, while it is being clearly signalled that I have given grievious offence.

mothorchid and Jamvic like this.