1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How does a 1 year stint on your CV look to potential employers?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by marilyn2, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:02 AM.

1. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Hello,
    I am in a bit of a quandary about what I should do about possibly leaving at the end of a 1 year contract. I'm really not happy, though I do know it's early days and have no idea really what to do. I'd never dream of breaking contract mid-year but I was wondering how only doing a 1 year stint at a school looks to employers. If I put '1 year contract' on my CV would that make a difference or would it be seen as negative either way? Are most teachers expected to do a minimum of 2 years? Has anyone been in this situation?

Many thanks
    M

2. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

If you have a track record of staying in other schools for a longer period of time, have good references from those other schools and can explain why the current school isn't a good fit for you then I think it'll be alright.

I left one school after a year, and I'm very glad I did.

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

If you leave with the school's agreement, then there shouldn't be a problem (assuming your reference is OK.) Sometimes things just don't work out.

4. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

In over 20 years I have left 2 schools after one year. Both times I was, technically, in breach of a two year contract but I informed the people at the earliest opportunity and said I was willing to pay. When I went to my next interviews I told the truth, one school had lied to me at interview and the other one was just ****! My philosophy has always been that life is too short to waste any of it being unhappy. I am interested to see how the merry go round will work this year though with what has gone on.

Take care,

Perce

tb9605 and suem75 like this.
  5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Spot on, Perce, mon brave.

JL48 likes this.
  6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

If leaving has anything to do with the pandemic, it’ll have less impact than other situations.
    Generally it’s not a good plan, but if balanced with other longer stays, it can turn out ok. Avoid drama when you talk to recruiters about it. They want to know you are calm and measured. And they want to hear similar from the schools you left.

7. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Absolutely agree with all the above, especially in these times - tell the truth - any decent school/recruiter will understand and take you at face value.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I only did one year in Saudi, at the "house of thinking" school in Jeddah. Sometimes I wonder how I survived even for that one year, as it was so horrible!

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Yes, I have several times. Just be honest-if you're covering a mat leave, you don't expect to stay (although sometimes people do p/t, but assuming you want FT, you'll need to go elsewhere when the woman returns). If it's for other reasons, just state honestly what they are. I don't see any problem in this, and it wasn't.

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know how schools outside the UK look at this but as a general comment if it were a UK school what would matter is your overall employment history.

If your record showed you repeatedly left jobs after a year or two it would likely count against you. But if you have normally stayed in jobs for a reasonable period then leaving one of them after one year is likely to be no problem at all, especially if you have your 'explanation' worked out. "It turned out to be a completely different job to what the school had led me to believe", etc.

11. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. Lots to think about.

Marilyn

12. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

I once got landed with interviewing a candidate, who I had previously rejected at a sister school, who had taught at 8 different schools in 8 years
    When I asked him about it, he replied, "I have a low boredom threshold and when i get bored, I just leave"
    10 / 10 for honesty, 0 / 10 chances of me employing him

Rott Weiler likes this.
  13. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

14. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Fun, yes?
    I rejected a candidate whose cv indicated he was still working at a different school in the city. When asked how he would rectify that with an almost immediate start with us, he responded “I’ll just quit. That’s what I normally do.”

15. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Works both ways. At a job fair interview I quickly got wind of the fact that my interviewer was an A1. When he asked, "why are you leaving?" I said "probably the same reason you are recruiting". He was in the bar later on talking with the recruitment fair cronies. Even they didn't hide that they thought he was knobrot.

16. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I remember reading this advice about interviews: You may be tempted to have your fun but you will probably pay for it'. A fellow candidate was asked 'Have you any experience of handling young girls?' The reply 'No sir, but I'd certainly like to try,' didn't go down well with the panel.

17. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Aye, 'cept as expected he misunderstood and took it as a compliment.

18. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Another factor is need. If a school needs a teacher they will accept a leprous escaped serial killer so long as they pass the reference check.